The best shows you’re not watching

Life in the ‘Fastlane’

Fox’s ‘Fastlane’ is an action flick edited to fit into an hour of TV time. Its heros are two undercover cops, Van (Peter Facinelli) and Deaq (MTV’s Bill Bellamy) and their sassy boss, Billie (Tiffani Thiessen). Every week Van and Deaq take on the bad guys who, not surprisingly, are usually hot girls.

Why is it the best show on television? ‘Fastlane’ has sex, drugs, rock ‘ roll, violence, car chases and sexy chicks. It’s produced by McG (Charlie’s Angels). It’s not deep or meaningful; there aren’t any morals at the end of each episode. But you get as much action as a Vin Diesel movie every week for free. The character interaction is equally entertaining. Van always has women troubles and is more emotional and effeminate than Billie.

So why aren’t you watching it? I honestly don’t know. ‘Fastline’ is on Fox on Fridays at 8 p.m.

Viva Las ‘Boomtown’

Complex and intense, ‘Boomtown’ is more than just another police drama. Multi-dimensional characters, not guns and car chases, are the focus of the show.

The opening scene often features a crime, which usually parallels a personal struggle in at least one of the main characters’ lives. Short, non-sequential segments fit together to solve the puzzle and reveal each individual’s role in the mystery. Seemingly unrelated events and offhand remarks are actually most often linked, and all the details fall into place by the closing credits.

However, ‘Boomtown’ has one downfall is its time slot: Sunday nights at 10p.m. on NBC. While Sundays may be your weekly homework day, the drama provides a viable excuse for a study break.