May 3: Terriers score big to beat UNH for NCAA bid

The Boston University lacrosse team used an early scoring binge to defeat the University of New Hampshire 11-6 in Saturday’s America East Championship, winning its second consecutive conference title.

The Terriers (14-4, 5-0), currently No. 20 in this weeks Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association poll, won their 12th straight game and an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament. It is the program’s second tournament appearance and first since 2000.

Last year, there was no automatic bid from the America East, as the league only boasted five teams. But with this year’s addition of the Stony Brook University Seawolves, the Terriers will receive the automatic nod.

Sophomore midfielder Alyssa Trudel and sophomore goalkeeper Anne Sheridan were once again the respective leaders of the Terrier offense and defense. Trudel scored three goals, while dishing out two assists and Sheridan made eight saves. The sophomore keeper was also named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player.

Trudel sparked the early and aggressive BU attack, scoring two of her three goals in the first half, as the Terriers mounted an 8-1 lead with 11 minutes remaining before intermission. With the early advantage, the Terriers relied on Sheridan and a defense that caused 14 Wildcat turnovers to secure the win.

Senior defender Briana Smith and junior midfielder Sasha Lang played well enough to secure spots on the All-Tournament Team, along with Sheridan and Trudel.

BU will find out its NCAA first round opponent during the NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Selection Show on Sunday, May 4 at 8:00 p.m. The results will be posted on www.dailyfreepress.com as soon as they are available.