May 4: Lacrosse to go Green at NCAA Tourney

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team will get a second chance to play Dartmouth College this season, and this time, it will be in the NCAA Tournament.

After winning the America East Championship on Saturday, the Terriers earned an automatic bid and will travel to Hanover, N.H. for their first-round game against the Big Green on Thursday, May 8. Dartmouth finished in a three-way tie for first place in the Ivy League with Princeton University and Yale University.

Because Princeton received the league’s automatic bid through a random drawing, the Big Green received an at-large bid. Yale also received an at-large bid.

BU (14-4, 5-0) was scheduled to host eighth-ranked Dartmouth (10-4, 6-1) on April 4 at Nickerson Field, but snowstorms forced the game’s cancellation. At the time, the Terriers were 4-4 and only two games into their current 12-game winning streak.

The Big Green enter Thursday’s first-round game having won eight of their last 10, including yesterday’s 9-7 upset of fourth-ranked Duke University. Dartmouth has recorded wins over Syracuse University (No. 11), Cornell University (No. 13) and Yale (No. 9) this season.

Junior midfielder Lana Smith leads the Dartmouth offense. Smith has tallied 33 goals on the season and scored three times today against Duke. In goal, Dartmouth has relied on freshman keeper Devon Wills, who has started all but two games this season and made 16 saves against the Blue Devils.

If the Terriers defeat Dartmouth, they will likely match up against the University of Maryland, the tournament’s second seed, in the NCAA Quarterfinals. The Terrapins will be heavily favored for their first-round game Thursday against No. 15-seed Temple University.

TERRIERS SWEEP SEASON AWARDS

After sweeping through the America East Regular Season with a perfect 5-0 record, BU swept the conference’s season awards, handed out on April 30.

Sophomore midfielder Alyssa Trudel was named the conference’s Player of Year, junior midfielder Sasha Lang earned the conference’s first Defender of the Year honor, freshman attacker Mary Beth Miller was named the Rookie of the Year and head coach Liza Shoemaker earned the Coach of the Year award.