May 5: Wolff signs 10-year extension to stay at BU

Boston University men’s basketball coach Dennis Wolff officially took his name out of the running on Monday for the vacant head coaching job at Fordham University, as he signed a 10-year contract extension that will keep him on Commonwealth Avenue until at least the 2013-2014 season.

Widely considered as the top candidate for the Fordham job after former NBA-coach Bob Hill was fired, Wolff decided Monday to remain a Terrier, coming off a trip to the NIT in 2003 and an NCAA bid in 2002.

Terms of the contract were not announced, but in an online press release on the BU athletics website, Chancellor John Silber commented on the university’s proactive attempt to keep Wolff in Boston.

“Dennis Wolff has demonstrated repeatedly that he is a superb teacher and leader of the highest caliber,” Silber said. “We are delighted that our association with him will be ongoing and that our students will be beneficiaries of his coaching talent for many years to come.”

Also in the press release, Wolff, who will enter his 10th season on the Terrier bench this fall, commented on the state of the program, saying that, “After a weekend of meetings with the BU administration, I’m as energized and enthusiastic about the future of Boston University basketball as I’ve ever been.”

With many analysts predicting drastic conference realignment in the Northeast over the coming years, Wolff may be looking at the America East and beyond. With a new arena on the horizon and the Terriers asserting themselves as a dominant force year in and year out, in basketball and other sports, BU could be a prime candidate for promotion to a larger conference, such as the Atlantic 10. Fordham finished last in the Atlantic 10 last season with a 4-24 record.