May 8: Softball shuts out Seawolves to move to semis

THURSDAY — The Boston University softball team won its first round game in the America East Tournament on the same strength that got them the top seed – pitching.

Sophomore ace Julie Henneke shut out the fourth-seeded University of Stony Brook Thursday, and the Terriers (30-20, 17-3 America East) scratched out runs in the second and third innings to win the opener of the double elimination tournament, 2-0.

Henneke allowed just two hits and four walks while striking out 13 in seven innings of work to move to 12-6 on the year.

The winning run crossed the plate in the second inning when freshman right fielder Erin McDonald scored an unearned run, thanks to a pair of errors by the Seawolves (25-32, 12-10). Henneke added an insurance run with a solo home run in the third.

With the win, the Terriers advance to the winners’ bracket, and will play the second-seeded University at Albany on Friday. The Great Danes which beat the University of Maine 1-0 Thursday.

A win over Albany would vault BU into the America East championship game on Saturday.

HARDWARE FOR HAAS

Meanwhile, at the America East banquet on Wednesday, BU sophomore shortstop Jamie Haas won her second consecutive America East Player of the Year Award. Haas led the Terriers in hitting at .329, while also leading off with a .404 on-base percentage and 23 stolen bases. Her spark at the top of the lineup has been key to many Terrier rallies.

Other BU contributors highlighted the conference’s first team, including Haas, Henneke in the circle, senior second baseman Kristin Knesek and sophomore designated player DeKenya Williams. Senior pitcher/outfielder Tiffany Finateri also made the team in the utility slot.

BU also had four players – McDonald, freshman third baseman Josey Mendez, sophomore first baseman Jenni Shields and junior outfielder Abbey Pauley – on the second team, while McDonald and Mendez also made the all-rookie team.

Albany swept the rest of the individual awards, winning Coach, Rookie and Pitcher of the Year.