Future grads spend last week partying with friends and being with family

While flower vendors lined the sidewalks of Commonwealth Avenue offering families and friends one last chance to buy a bouquet of roses for their graduates, the liquor stores made the real killing this past week.

Several graduates said they spent their last week of college getting smashed every night, culminating in a night of intense partying and drinking on their last night at Boston University.

But intense inebriation was not on tap for all the graduates last week. Kevin Massey, who graduated from the College of Communication, spent the past week with friends and family.

“I’ve just hung out with my friends a lot in the last few days,” Massey said. “[I’ve] gone back and forth between my family and my friends.”

However, Massey was one of few exceptions, as most graduates supported their local bars and liquor stores on the days leading up to Commencement.

Nathaniel Picard, now a College of Engineering alumnus, said his family has a ritual requiring him and his brothers to venture out in the woods and chip off a piece of a rock for each other. He and his brothers did it for their high school graduations and are continuing the tradition into their college years.

Most graduates spend the time immediately following the ceremony with family, several seniors said.

For the more distant future, most students said they were undecided and many plan to take some time off before doing some serious job hunting. As glad as the seniors were to graduate, they also said they were very disheartened to leave behind the friends they have made in Boston.