Terriers eliminated from postseason

After proving it could play with the best in the country, the Boston University softball team was unable to extend its stay in the NCAA Tournament on Friday in Fullerton, Calif.

Pennsylvania State University ended the Terriers’ (33-23) season for the second straight year, after the sixth-seeded Nittany Lions eliminated BU with a 7-0 win on Friday.

The damage was slightly worse this year, compared with last year’s 5-1 margin.

Penn State scratched out a run in the top of the first inning and never looked back, as Terrier senior Tiffany Finateri and sophomore Julie Henneke could not stymie their opponents from the circle.

The Nittany Lions (31-22) added a pair of runs in the second, fourth and sixth.

The seventh-seeded Terriers scattered six hits – including two each by Henneke and freshman right fielder Erin McDonald – while getting shut out by Penn State hurler Shana Riggleman.

The loss ended the America East Champions’ stay in the double-elimination tournament after a valiant effort against Oklahoma State University – the No. 13 team in the nation – in the first game.

The Terrier bats only mustered one McDonald single against Cowgirl ace Lauren Bay, but Henneke kept the Terriers in the game as long as she could. The Terrier ace pitched six scoreless innings before surrendering a walk-off home run to Oklahoma State right fielder Crystal Lee in the bottom of the seventh, giving the Cowgirls the 1-0 victory.

The cross-country trip was BU’s third appearance in the NCAA Tournament, where it now has a 2-6 record.

The future appears bright for the Terriers, as only two starters receive their diplomas at Sunday’s commencement ceremony. Next year’s team will not include Finateri or senior second baseman Kristin Knesek, but a solid young core will return, including Henneke and two-time America East Player of the Year shortstop Jamie Haas.