Goldin officially accepts BU presidency

August 14 — Former NASA administrator Daniel S. Goldin has accepted Boston University’s invitation to be the school’s ninth president, Goldin said in a phone interview Thursday.

Goldin said he will begin at the university Nov. 1, with his induction ceremony likely to come later in the month.

Goldin said he was first contacted by a Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor, who asked him if he would be interested in running a university. Goldin said he was unsure, but after visiting BU, he knew it was the right fit for him, saying he “loved the energy at Boston University.”

Goldin said he was excited to begin his new job and looks forward to receiving help from current BU chancellor John Silber.

“I just think that John Silber is an incredible person,” Goldin said. “I’ve spent a lot of time with him, and this university believes in always growing and doing better.”

Goldin said Silber will act as president emeritus and advise him as he learns the ropes. Silber’s knowledge of running the nation’s fourth-largest private institution would aid Goldin in preparing to perform the same task and “help me understand this great university,” he said.

“He is unique in American education, and he has incredible knowledge and a sense about things,” Goldin said. “I’m certainly hoping he’d have the time to help me. I could learn by coming and making mistakes or by asking him questions.”

Around 6:00 p.m. eastern time, Goldin sent an e-mail to members of the BU community, informing students, faculty, administrators and staff that he accepted the Trustees’ offer “with great pleasure and anticipation.”

Goldin also told the Free Press that he was excited to begin his tenure as president, but he did not plan on “taking action right away.”

“I’m going to come up from time to time and my intention is to do nothing else but to ask questions and listen. All I want to do is learn about the hopes and aspirations,” of the BU community, Goldin said.

Goldin said he wanted to listen – rather than speak – so he could hear all the different opinions and viewpoints that belong to members of the university community.

“I want people to feel I have an open mind. I really genuinely want to take time to listen,” Goldin said. “This university has done some fabulous things and there are even more things that could be done, but I don’t want to prejudice any of the discussion.”

Goldin said he would work with the community and added that “the most important thing as a new president I could do is listen.”

In his e-mail to students, he said he would “listen, consult and learn” during his first year as president. He cited his ultimate goal for BU as developing “a shared vision for the university that will take all of us to new levels of knowledge and accomplishment through the power of education.”