A warm welcome to students from the mayor of Boston

n Welcome to Boston, and congratulations on pursuing the exciting educational adventure that unfolds before you! A good education is the key to your future success. I am proud of each of you for continuing your education, and I am glad that you have chosen to do so in Boston.

Whether you are a new or returning student, I want to extend a warm welcome and invite you to see Boston as your home. Boston is truly a hub of activity and diversity. You will discover institutions like the Boston Public Library and museums, music and sports, great free events, beautiful parks and waterfronts, and a varied economy with employment and internship opportunities to explore now or after graduation. I hope that you’ll take advantage of the unusual combination of quality of life and diversity that makes Boston so special. You are here in Boston not just to study and learn, but also to enjoy all that Boston has to offer.

Boston is a city of neighborhoods, and I encourage you to get to know your city and become involved in your new neighborhood. To help you, I’ve created a special section of the City’s Web site with detailed information about neighborhood services, shops, restaurants, nightlife, recreation, parking and even pets. Visit www.cityofboston.gov/myboston to learn more about the many city services that we offer to all of our residents.

You have arrived in Boston at one of the most exciting times in our history. As you may already know, our city will host the 2004 Democratic National Convention next July. We need at least 8,000 committed volunteers to help make the convention a success, and I hope you will take part in this extraordinary opportunity. Visit the host committee’s Web site at www.boston04.com for more information and to complete a volunteer application.

Once again, it is my pleasure to welcome you to Boston. I send my best wishes for your continued success during the academic year and in all of your endeavors.

Thomas M. Menino

Mayor of Boston