Boston’s best, from the editors of the Free Press

Bill Yelenak, Editor-in-Chief

Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, Kenmore Square

‘Fenway Park is so close, it’s practically on the BU campus. While tickets for most games sell out far ahead of time, the friendly scalpers in front of Pizzeria Uno or the Fleet ATM right before the bridge over the Massachusetts Turnpike are more than happy to lend a hand to get you in the right seat. Best of all, you can join over 33,000 other rabid Sox fans who all believe that every year could be the year.’ You can get to Fenway Park by walking down Commonwealth Avenue or Beacon Street all the way to Kenmore Square. If you’re coming all the way from West Campus you may want to cough up $1 and take the Green Line inbound. For team stats, game schedules, ticket information and more, check out www.redsox.com.

Joshua Karlin-Resnick, Managing Editor

The North End

‘The North End’s a great place to go any night of the week if you like to eat, but beware of big crowds on Friday and Saturday nights. With dozens of Italian restaurants and bakeries, the area’s thin and twisting streets actually look a bit like a neighborhood straight from Italy, which is always fun to experience. And, oh right, the food is great well worth the short trip from BU.’ Take the Green Line inbound to Government Center, cross City Hall Plaza to the left and keep walking past Faneuil Hall, past Haymarket, through the Big Dig construction … oh hell, just ask someone for directions!

Deirdre Fulton, Associate Editor

Allston morning eateries, cheap produce and bargain clothes

Deirdre prefers to skip the breakfast at Warren Towers or West Campus and head to one of the nearby Allston eateries. Definitely hit Bagel Rising at 1243 Commonwealth Ave. before a test; Clearflour Bakery at 138 Thorndike St. in Brookline on weekend mornings; and Steve’s Kitchen at 120 Harvard Ave. or The Grecian Yearning at 174 Harvard Ave. ‘for diner omelettes that remind me of home.’ While you’re in Allston, head over to Urban Renewals at 122 Brighton Ave. in Allston for some good thrift store shopping.

Jessica Warren, News Editor

The Middle East Club, Central Square, Cambridge

Indie rock lovers and nicotine addicts flock to the Middle East Club in that other city you know the one across the Charles (that long body of water next to us). Forever living in the shadow of its big brother Boston, Cambridge is filled with all that is off the beaten path. Justin and Christina at the FleetCenter not your thing? The Middle East at 472 Massachusetts Ave. offers bands like Cursive, Folk Implosion and Red Animal War, as well as belly dancing on Wednesday nights. Not subject to the Cambridge workplace smoking ban until Oct. 1, ‘it is also one of the few havens left for us smokers.’ For show and ticket information visit www.mideastclub.com.

Kate Davidson, City Editor

Copley Square

Located in the heart of Back Bay, Copley Square is home to some of the city’s most amazing architecture, like the John Hancock Tower, the Prudential Building, Copley Place, the Trinity Church and the Boston Public Library. Copley Square is also the center of the best shopping in the city, just a block away from the upscale boutiques and sidewalk eateries of Newbury Street and the indoor shops at the Prudential Center and Copley Place. And the square itself is a great place to lounge on the grass, grab a coffee and people watch always an eclectic mix of professionals, tourists, students, street performers and farmers with fresh produce stands. If the grass at Copley isn’t big enough, you’re just a 10-minute walk from the Public Garden.’ Take the Green Line inbound to the Copley Square T stop.

Chad Berndtson, Editorial Page Editor

Paradise Rock Club and Midnight movies at the Fenway AMC

‘Nocturnal creatures and film and music lovers alike always make these two institutions stops on the prowl. The best rock band bookings in the Northeast and vintage films, both with some of the rowdiest crowds in the city? Sign me up!’ The Paradise is located right on Comm. Ave. on West campus and the Fenway AMC is on Park Drive just over the Mass Pike — easily accessible from South Campus or Kenmore Square.

Steve Moore, Sports Editor

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Steve Moore leaves his stilettos at home when he traverses the cobblestones at Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. One of the oldest shopping centers in the country, Faneuil Hall is rich with history and home to dozens of stores, even more restaurants and one of the city’s premier comedy clubs, The Comedy Connection. ‘Grab a bread bowl of New England Clam Chowder from ‘Chowda’ inside the Market, then pull up a seat on the steps and watch the street performers in the square. Always a good time. Take the scenic 10-minute walk to Mike’s Pastries for dessert.’ To get to Faneuil Hall, take the Green Line inbound to Government Center and cross City Hall Plaza to the right.

Katie McMahon, Photo Editor

Arnold Arboretum

‘Because I’m a country girl at heart (and therefore a tree hugger), my favorite place in the city . . . is the Arnold Arboretum. It’s a great place to go for hikes and walks, especially in late September or early October when the leaves change color. You feel like you’re outside the city, yet you can still get there via the T. If you hike to the top there’s also a great view.’ The Arnold Arboretum is located at the end of the Orange Line at the Forest Hills T stop. The grounds are open sunrise to sunset every day of the year and, best of all, admission is free.