Splash to introduce freshmen to student groups

Thousands of new Boston University students will make a ‘Splash’ at the university on Sept. 1, as they rush to meet different student groups on Nickerson Field and collect loads of free stuff.

Splash, BU’s annual open house for an expected 4,000 freshmen to check out student groups, clubs and programs offered, will introduce incoming freshman to organizations they may want to join.

Planning for the event has been underway throughout the summer, according to Student Alumni Council member Nicole Carlucci.

‘Throughout the summer, the Student Alumni Council e-board members have been out walking the Boston area attempting to get local area businesses, restaurants and service providers to engage in an opportunity to reach 4,000 new Boston residents,’ she said.

Following freshman matriculation on Monday, freshmen will be invited to attend the event, which will take place until 2 p.m. The Student Activities Office and the SAC sponsor the completely free event.

The SAC sponsors a barbecue for freshmen, while putting together gift bags that are distributed to students, Carlucci said.

Carlucci said the free gift bags given in previous years have included ‘items donated by GAP, disposable cameras from Aramark and various Pepsi products, including Pepsi Blue and Code Red.’

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Danielle Finkelstein said she attended Splash last year, where she received, ‘pens, discounts at local restaurants and stores, a Frisbee and a T-shirt.’ She also said other vendors gave out other prizes like gym memberships, soda, candy and disposable cameras.

The Student Activities Office helps organize the rest of the event, which includes the opportunity for students to sign up for BU organizations. Many organizations attend the annual event, from sports and dance teams to interest clubs, performance organizations and sororities and fraternities. This gives freshmen a chance to get a feel for organizations, ask questions, sign up for various groups and join mailing lists, planners said.