Baseball commentary strikes out

n I would like to comment on the column entitled “New or old, you can’t beat a great ballpark” and a general trend (April 23, pg. 16).

I would not say that the SkyDome (yes, the “d” is capitalized) is a “cookie-cutter” stadium. Yes, it has Astroturf, but the SkyDome represents more than a regular stadium; it offers, and it was the standard-bearer in offering a baseball experience, what with the in-park hotel rooms, the McDonald’s and the retractable roof. I would like to think that Arizona and Seattle owe their stadiums, in part, to the SkyDome.

[Chris Ferruso,] you note that the Pittsburgh Pirates have “no talent on the field.” Okay, first a disclaimer. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. I’ve tracked the team since 1988, meaning that I’m more than familiar with the team’s glory and oh-so-inglorious days (and, as I’m sure you’re aware, the mid- to late-90s teams were brutal).

Now, for you to refer to the current squad as talentless illustrates that you do not much follow the game; either that, or you have a woeful memory. I believe that earlier in the semester, you pointed out the virtues of Brian Giles and Mike Williams. Now, you state otherwise. Nonetheless, I will not be so naïve as to claim the Pirates are contenders; they’re not. But I will challenge your claim that the Pirates possess “no talent.” Question: please explain how the Pirates possess “no talent”?

Aside from Giles and Williams, might I suggest the Jack Wilson-to-Pokey Reese double-play combination? (Yes, I’m aware that Reese has apparently chosen to play with a stone glove this year.) If these two were in a larger market, I am certain that the pair would be mentioned as candidates for Gold Gloves. Also, might I suggest the Pirates middle relievers, a cast of players that outperformed the middle relievers of either New York squad this past year?

Unfortunately, I would not expect you to know either of the preceding examples, primarily because the examples aren’t frequently referenced on espn.com or mlb.com.

The column, in general, provides me with nothing new. I learn nothing as has been the case with every column you have written this semester.

If I want information on the New York teams, I’ll visit the websites of the Daily News or Post, or I’ll ask friends from New York.

If I want information on baseball, I’ll refer to espn.com, a newspaper or ESPN Magazine/Sports Illustrated.

And, if I want an informative, thought-provoking sports column from The Daily Free Press, I’ll refer to the work of Anthony DeVita and Joe Keiley.

Brett Fulesday

SMG ’03