BU students say campus moves relatively easy

For thousands of Boston University students moving into on-campus housing, the literal highs and lows of the process ranged from basements to 18 stories up.

Jeff Kinlan, a College of Engineering freshman, moved into his 18th floor Warren Towers room early Saturday morning and said his dormitory was not ‘too busy,’ adding that everything ran smoothly, except for getting on and off elevators.

‘I ended up having to walk all the way up at one point,’ Kinlan said.

Of the 16,000 undergraduate students who will begin school this week, 74 percent moved into on-campus housing, according to the BU website.

Denny Metcalf, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman, said his move-in, which took place over a week ago, ran quite smoothly.

Metcalf said he arrived to his residence in Warren Towers around 8 a.m. last Monday and was entirely moved in by 9 a.m.

‘Efficiency is key,’ Metcalf said. ‘I packed efficiently and lightly, which made things a lot easier.’

The participant in First-Year Student Outreach Project, or FYSOP, said he was ‘excited’ on move-in day because he was no longer alone on his floor in Warren.

Unlike Metcalf and Kinlan, 160 freshman were rejected from on-campus housing and will be spending first semester living in the Holiday Inn in Brookline and Hotel Commonwealth. The first and second floors of the Holiday Inn will house 80 men, while 80 women will live in Kenmore Square’s Hotel Commonwealth.

CAS freshman Trevor Mattera said he was ‘a little disappointed at first’ about living in a hotel so far away from campus.

‘I was worried about meeting people here,’ Mattera said. ‘Now I feel better about it though. It seems less hectic and so much is taken care of for us.’

Students staying in hotels may be comforted by several amenities not offered in the dormitories including weekly maid service and free linens.

‘All of our bedding and stuff is provided,’ he said. ‘That made my packing a lot lighter.’

Steve Smith, a School of Management freshman, said he was also disappointed when he found out he would be spending the first semester in a hotel.

‘It’s not really the college experience I was expecting,’ he said.

However Smith said he would enjoy the health club, pool, maid service and private bath available at the Holiday Inn.

To help move-in run smoother, hundreds of returning students volunteered to be ‘Fall Welcome Ambassadors.’ These students helped incoming students get acquainted with their new homes and move into them.

SMG sophomore Boris Bystrov said he volunteered along with his fraternity Tao Epsilon Phi. Bystrov said volunteering provided ‘a chance to meet new people and have a profound influence on the freshmen.’

Bystrov also said he volunteered in the hopes of meeting some freshmen girls, but was disappointed when he ended up at the Holiday Inn and found only guys.

SMG junior Scott Cote said he volunteered to help move in freshmen because he wanted to invite freshmen girls to a friend’s party.

Despite the fact that Cote also only moved guys into the Holiday Inn, he said he still enjoyed it.

‘I’m glad I did it,’ Cote said. ‘It’s a good experience and interesting to meet new people that I’ll probably see around campus.’