BU women unbeaten in last seven after 1-1 tie at Maine

In its fifth overtime game of the season, the Boston University women’s soccer team scratched out a 1-1 tie against the University of Maine on Sunday afternoon in Orono to extend its unbeaten streak to seven games.

Sophomore forward Melissa Shulman deadlocked the game at 24:27 with her team-high sixth goal of the season for the Terriers (6-3-3; 2-0-1 America East) and senior tri-captain goalie Jessica Clinton made some key saves late in the game to preserve the tie.

‘It was a battle. Both teams had a lot of opportunities to score,’ said BU head coach Nancy Feldman. ‘We fought hard. I’m not disappointed to come away with a tie.’

Maine (7-1-1; 1-0-1 AE) struck first in the game at 16:00 when Kate Crawford took a cross from Heather Hathorn. Clinton saved Crawford’s shot from in front of the net, but the rebound got away from her and found the foot of Katie Hodge. Hodge knocked the loose ball in to give the Black Bears a lead.

‘That was really their only chance at the beginning of the game,’ Feldman said. ‘We started the game well. We had the ball for most of the time and we were doing some good things with it.’

The Maine lead was short-lived, however, as BU came back in the 25th minute. Sophomore forward Meghann Cook grabbed control of the ball and then found a wide-open Shulman 10 yards out. Maine goalie Tanya Adorno came out to challenge Shulman, who then blasted one past her into the open net.

‘It was good that we were able to get back on the attack and get a goal back before halftime,’ Feldman said.

The chances for both teams continued in the second half, but neither team was able to capitalize on the scoring chances. Junior forward Lauren Ciccone had a shot on a break that was turned away in the second half, which Feldman characterized as her team’s best chance to score.

It was Maine that had the best chance to score as regulation neared its end. There was a flurry in front of the net in which Maine took three consecutive shots that were all turned away by Clinton (five saves).

‘She came away with some huge saves,’ Feldman said. ‘It was really unbelievable, she just snuffed them out. She is a real big reason we walked away with a tie.’

Feldman said she could tell her team was tiring in the second half, a result of playing their fourth game in nine days. Even usually well-conditioned sophomore back Brittany McDonald was showing some wear.

‘That to me if she’s feeling fatigue and it’s starting to set in for her, then it must be real tough,’ Feldman said. ‘It was very soft and muddy ground from the rain. That can tire you out.’

There will be no rest for the weary, however, as the Terriers will head home for a 4 p.m. game on Wednesday at Nickerson Field against Dartmouth College (4-5-1). The Big Green are coming off a big 3-2 win against No. 19 Princeton University. The Terriers will face nationally ranked Princeton next Monday.