Classes canceled on Nov. 17

Nov. 17 will be a ‘university holiday’ to commemorate Daniel S. Goldin’s inauguration as BU’s ninth president, students learned Monday in an email from Boston University Board of Trustees Chairman Christopher Barreca.

‘In recognition of the significance of the inauguration in the life of the university, the Board of Trustees has declared this day a university holiday,’ Barreca wrote in the email to the entire BU community.

He added that he hopes BU community members ‘will be able to participate in this university-wide celebration.’

BU spokesman Colin Riley said BU will hold a celebration for Goldin on Nov. 17, but he did not know further details of the event. Goldin, who formerly held the top position at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, will become BU’s president on Nov. 1.

With Monday classes scheduled for the Tuesday after Columbus Day, Riley said Nov. 18 would remain a Tuesday schedule.

Barreca was unavailable for comment Monday because he was traveling, according to the Assistant to the President Ivan Bernier, the president’s office liaison to the Board of Trustees. Bernier said the Trustees’ decision to mark the day as one of celebration came at either their Executive Committee meeting or their full board meetings in July or September.

‘It was felt that an event as important as the inauguration of the university’s ninth president required some degree of celebration, in the same manner that was given to Jon Westling’s inauguration in 1996,’ Bernier said.

At Westling’s inauguration in October 1996, blues legend B.B. King performed, Board of Trustees Chairman Emeritus Arthur G.B. Metcalf presented Westling the presidential mace and collar and then-Board of Trustees Chairman Earle C. Cooley read a letter of support from then-President Bill Clinton.

Bernier said a sense of tradition partially motivated the ceremony.

‘I would say that that’s part of it,’ Bernier said. ‘But also it’s the Board of Trustees is very pleased with the selection of Dan Goldin as president, and they feel that a celebration is fitting the of new era of Boston University.’