Nostalgic for Boston

As my heart returned to its normal speed after the Red Sox’s game 5 win over the A’s, I noticed I had a message on my cell phone. It was my buddy, Chris, a senior in the College of Fine Arts. The message was barely audible – he was calling from Kenmore Square. The cheers from the gathering crowd only allowed me to hear one sentence: “It’s a great night to be in Boston…”

Why wasn’t I, a native Bostonian, there you ask? Because I’ve graduated. That’s right, COM class of 2003. Now I live in Los Angeles, pursuing a career in the film industry. I shouldn’t complain – the sun is shining, it’s always 72 degrees, and the beach is only 10 minutes away. But boy, it would be cool to be in ‘Beantown’ right now.

Perhaps it’s Red Sox fever talking, but it made me realize all of the wonderful things Boston has to offer. Now I don’t want to sound like an old man about to begin an infamous, “In my day” rant, but there’s a lot of stuff you crazy kids should take advantage of. Hit the pavement! Check out the Freedom trail, see some history. Go dine in the north end and pick something up from ‘Mike’s Pastries.’ Check out Fannuell Hall and go to the ‘Comedy Connection’ for some laughs. Enjoy that first snow storm of the year (you’ll hate every storm after that one). Last but not least, go cheer for the Red Sox as they go head to head with the Yankees (who, by the way, suck). And remember, every night is a great night to be in Boston!