Frog Pond opens for skating

Thousands gathered at the Boston Common’s Frog Pond Wednesday to welcome winter with the eighth annual figure skating performance marking the pond’s seasonal opening.

Established in 1634, the pond was reopened in 1996 and is now open year-round as a scenic, fountain-filled lagoon in the summer and a public ice skating arena from November through March.

‘The skating rink enlivens the community,’ said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino as he welcomed the crowd. ‘Winter is a barren time in the Common. The skating rink welcomes the community.’

The ice show represents historic Boston’s deep-rooted traditions, as seen by residents and visitors alike.

‘Boston is beautiful,’ said 22-year-old Audrey O’Connor of Clare County, Ireland. ‘I love it here, and Bostonians are so friendly.’

‘It’s really neat to see little kids to grandparents to students here,’ said Boston University College of Arts and Sciences freshman Sarah Lobe. ‘[The pond] really brings everyone together.’

The Boston Ice Theater had the crowd clapping along as they skated to the classic ‘Let’s Get It On’ by Marvin Gaye, and had thousands of eyes locked on the ice with more somber numbers like solo skates to ‘I Will Love You’ by Fischer.

The event brought out skaters young and old, including seven-year-old Catherine Hout of Boston. Catherine said she liked seeing the beautiful skaters, although building snowmen is her favorite winter activity.

‘Skating is fun, but I want to have snowball fights,’ said her five-year-old brother, Thomas.

Thomas was not the only one waiting for snow.

‘I’m looking forward to seeing a real winter, though I hear I may hate it after,’ said CAS freshman Josh Schiode. ‘In Las Vegas, the lowest it gets is 40 degrees, and there’s no snow ever.’

But CAS freshman Megan King said even if you are from where it does freeze, Boston’s flakey snow is a sight to see.

‘Where I’m from, there are ice storms rather than snow,’ King said of her hometown in Missouri. ‘I would like to see a lot of snow.’

One person who is glad the snow is holding off is Frog Pond General Manager Duncan Finch, in charge of the ice show for the sixth straight year.

‘It’s great that the weather is cooperating so far,’ he said. ‘Last season it was extremely cold and our numbers were down a little.’

The 100,000 skaters that visited the pond last season clearly did not mind the chilly weather.

Finch, who played hockey for Northeastern University, now takes his love for the ice to a new level. He organizes all aspects of the pond year round, including the figure skaters for the yearly event.

This year’s guest skaters included 1992 Olympic Silver medalist Paul Wylie, New England Regional Championship Men’s gold medalist Scott Smith and New England Regional Championship Junior Men’s gold medalist Adam Kaplan.

‘Paul Wylie is great. In the past, we’ve had Nancy Kerrigan and Bryan Boitano as well as other international stars,’ Finch said.

The Frog Pond is open to the public Sunday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., except Monday when it closes at 5 p.m. On Friday and Saturday it is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Skating is $3 for those over 14, not including a $7 skate rental.