Roofies incidents prompt concern

The University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth and Harvard University officials urged female students to be on guard at parties after two women from each school were reportedly sexually assaulted in separate incidents and believed they had been given the drug Rohypnol, commonly known as ‘the date rape drug’ or ‘roofies.’

Susan B. Marine, a spokeswoman for Harvard’s Office for Sexual Assault Prevention and Response, who issued the warning to Harvard students, said, ‘The administrators are certainly concerned [about Rohypnol].’

‘We’ve done a fair share of talking and thinking about how we can get the word out about [Rohypnol] how do we get the word out about this, how do we help students understand it,’ she said. ‘There have been two reported cases’ of sexual assault.

Officials from UMass did not return repeated phone calls seeking comment this week.

Rohypnol, the trade name for flunitrazepam, induces a drowsy state similar to that caused by Valium. The drug is produced in Europe by Hoffman-La Roche, but has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration and cannot be legally imported into the United States.

According to its website, the Drug Enforcement Agency said it was concerned by Rohypnol’s ‘low cost, usually below $5 per tablet, and its growing popularity among young people.’

‘The drug’s effects begin within 30 minutes, peak within 2 hours and may persist for up to 8 hours or more, depending upon the dosage,’ the DEA site said. ‘Associated with the use of flunitrazepam include decreased blood pressure, memory impairment, drowsiness, visual disturbances, dizziness, confusion, gastrointestinal disturbances and urinary retention.’

Due to Rohypnol’s memory-impairing effect, it is frequently used in date rape cases.

‘We’ve been lucky this year there have been no documented cases of BU students being sexually assaulted through the use of date rape drugs,’ said Boston University Police Department Sgt. Jack St. Hilaire.

‘The problem with date rape drugs is that you lose memory,’ he said. ‘On documented cases, people remember weeks later, if at all. All physical evidence is gone by then.’

Some Boston University females said they were not worried about roofies, because they take precautions while at parties.

‘I carry water bottles around, so it’s unlikely someone would unscrew the cap and put something in while I’m not looking,’ said College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Tara Deliberto.

‘If I am at a party, and I am drinking something, then I always hold my cup like that,’ Deliberto said, covering her cup of coffee with her hand.

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences graduate student June Srisethanil said, ‘I don’t think my social habits put me at risk for any encounter with Rohpynol, so I’m not really worried about it.’

St. Hilaire said students should use common sense and stay alert when at parties.

‘Look out for each other. Do not accept drinks from someone you do not know. When you have your drinks, watch them,’ he said. ‘I’m not trying to scare anyone you just have to use your head. You never know who you’re dealing with.’