Off the Post: Parker’s only place behind BU bench, at least for now

It’s almost Thanksgiving, and many of us will soon take a little time to reflect upon those things we most appreciate. Things such as family, friends, that extra travel day during Thanksgiving break and Dan Goldin Day. As a Boston University sports fan, I’m thankful that Jack Parker continues to be a Terrier, serving as our executive director of athletics (and that he coaches a little hockey on the side).

Over the last 30-plus years of BU hockey, Jack Parker has been and continues to be the one steadfast. Players have graduated or left the team early to pursue their National Hockey League careers. Names and faces have changed, but the man in charge hasn’t. It seems that as long as there has been BU hockey there has been Jack Parker.

But while Parker has drawn some comparisons to God (Section 8 is a very religious place), the sad truth is that he will not be around forever. As the most recognized man in the history of BU sports spends his 31st season behind the Terrier bench, one has to suspect that the Icedogs will be Parkerless sooner rather than later.

When Parker finally surrenders his whistle, one has to wonder what he’ll do with himself. You just can’t go from being the winningest active coach in college hockey to building birdhouses and playing checkers at the senior center. Coach Parker will need something to fill up all that free time he will finally have. While we can’t exactly be sure what will claim Parker’s attention, we can make a couple of guesses about his most likely pursuits.

Actor Okay, so this might be somewhat of a long shot, but it just narrowly beat out ‘Warren Towers Faculty-in-Residence.’ There has to be a place in Hollywood for a gray-haired man with glasses, right? Can’t you just envision Parker sitting in the oval office, playing the president in the next movie based on a Tom Clancy book? Hey, if Sylvester Stallone can make it as an actor, I think Jack Parker certainly has a chance.

Author After being a coach for 30 years, there are a number of topics about which Parker could choose to write. For his first book, he might as well stick to what he knows best Beanpots. In ‘How to Win a Beanpot,’ Parker can draw on the expertise that comes with winning the tournament more times that I can actually count. The book would be a sure bestseller, especially in Chestnut Hill, Cambridge and that other part of Boston.

Chancellor When John Silber resigned from his position as president of Boston University a few years ago, he created a new position and called himself chancellor. Now that Silber is gone from that office, why couldn’t Jack Parker take over? This may be the best arrangement for everyone. Those of us incapable of imagining life without Parker wouldn’t have to. Of course, based on Chancellor Silber’s precedent, Parker will not really be retiring. He’d still be making most of the important decisions when it comes to the hockey team. The only difference is that players and fans would be calling him ‘Chancellor Parker’ instead of ‘Coach Parker.’

Mascot For over 30 years, Jack Parker has been the face of BU hockey. So, he might as well become the face of all BU sports by putting on the big fluffy costume, for the ice hockey games at the very least.

Parker meets all the requirements. He can skate, he’s good with people and he certainly has the tendency to be animated, which is a key characteristic for a good mascot. The biggest problem would be that mascots are not supposed to talk. It seems kind of unrealistic that Parker would attend a BU hockey game and not have at least a couple words for the officials. Although seeing Rhett arguing with a referee would be a memorable sight.

Official If you’ve been to a Terrier hockey game, you’ve probably seen Parker the essence of tranquility, questioning a call made by one of the officials. Of course we all know that’s not true. Parker doesn’t quietly question one of the officials. He yells, screams and tells the official what the call should have been. And if that official won’t listen, he’ll yell at another one. And of course, Jack Parker is always right. I mean, the guy has been a hockey coach for 30 years. It seems only natural that after 30 years of knowing what every call should have been, Parker would don the stripes and make the calls himself.

Jack Parker is to Boston University what peanut butter is to jelly you just really can’t have one without the other. Parker will forever be linked to the Terriers, his legacy etched into the minds of former and current BU students alike. And while these would all be interesting career moves, we all know that there is only one position that fits Jack Parker perfectly: hockey coach at Boston University. And I’ll be thankful for every moment that he chooses to keep that position.