Subway Musicians Under Attack

A grave economic peril threatens Boston musicians. Many people earn their livelihood working long, hard hours performing in the subway system, a fact that has long promoted tourism and given our city a distinct and proud musical heritage. Incoming restrictions from the MBTA ban the use of any amplification regardless of volume levels, and also ban the use of a wide variety of musical instruments, a fact that prevents most of these hardworking professionals the means by which to live. The subway system has long been an incubator and safehold for independent music and emerging artists, but the MBTA is on the verge destroying all this for reasons that are unjustified. An effort to counteract this is underway: http://communityartsadvocates.org/saa-mbta-subway.html

On December 1, a new policy will go into effect which prohibits the use of any amplification and many different types of instruments, including keyboards, brass instruments, bass guitars, and any electronic equipment. The justification for this bizarre new policy lies in security concerns relating to September 11. Apparently, these dedicated professionals are now a threat to our national security. The MBTA points to musicians as a reason why announcements over the public address system can’t be heard, a fact that endangers passengers. A single trip to a subway station proves this statement false. The PA system is woefully inadequate and the roaring trains drown out all other noise, in addition to the fact that musicians already adhere to strict decibel limits. These facts do not prevent the MBTA from steamrolling the musicians, regardless of how inconvenient they are to the justification for the crackdown.

Performers are facing a total loss of income and some estimate that they will soon be homeless as a result of their economic need. All the musicians ask for is that the MBTA honors the original agreement governing subway performance. This agreement has fostered safety and security in the stations and has over fifteen years of proof to show that it works effectively to make the stations as safe as possible. Imposing these restrictions negatively impacts all of us, taking a way an integral part of our city’s identity and culture. I urge everyone to act in whatever way they can to ensure that this injustice does not come to pass.

Sincerely,

Justin Knudsen