BU big men can do more than just rebound

Boston University men’s basketball coach Dennis Wolff has said he runs an offense predicated on personnel, meaning the players dictate the team’s style.

This season, a versatile frontcourt will give Wolff the opportunity to put several different player combinations on the floor. Junior Rashad Bell and senior Jason Grochowalski both have the size to fill the power forward spot and the athleticism to play the small forward position. Senior Ryan Butt and sophomores Kevin Gardner and Matt Czaplinski will solidify the Terriers presence under the basket, but Butt and Gardner have also shown that they can shoot and handle the ball very well.

With several interchangeable frontcourt players of similar size and skill, Wolff and the Terriers will have the luxury of giving teams different looks on offense. They can play big or small, use their speed or strength or go over or through their opponents.

‘I think we can do different things at different times,’ Wolff said last week of his frontcourt. ‘Hopefully, collectively, that group will give us good play.’

Bell, more than any other player, will allow Wolff to do different things with his lineup. An America East first-team member last season, Bell led the Terriers in scoring and was second in rebounding. Bell can play on the block or on the perimeter, prompting Wolff to consider using the 6-foot-8-inch junior at the small forward spot at times this season.

The coach can either go big with players like Butt, Gardner or Czaplinski if Bell plays small forward, or he can play a three-guard lineup as he did in BU’s exhibition game against the One on One Basketball All-Stars if Bell is placed at power forward.

Regardless of where Bell plays, Wolff said he thinks the junior is primed for a big season.

‘Rashad is the one guy on our team who has the ability to raise his game even further and play at a higher level,’ Wolff said. ‘And we need him to do that.’

Grochowalski raised his level of play in the America East Tournament last season and was arguably the Terriers’ best player down the stretch. The 6-foot-6-inch senior was selected to the all-tournament team, averaging 11 points and five rebounds in the conference postseason.

Like Bell, Grochowalski can swing between the forward positions with strength to play inside and a nice shooting touch to play outside.

Another BU big man who can consistently hit from the outside is Butt. The 6-foot-8-inch senior averaged eight points per game last season and shot over 30 percent from three-point range. An able shooter, Butt can draw taller defenders to the perimeter to open the lane for his slashing teammates.

Gardner and Czaplinski saw limited action in their first years, but with the departure of graduates Billy Collins and Paul Seymour, more playing time should be available for the two players who could become the Terriers’ best post threats. Gardner became a fan favorite last season because of his knack for coming up with at least one highlight-reel worthy play each time he took the court. Czaplinski, BU’s tallest player at 6 feet 10 inches, showed last year that he can work on the block and should contribute more this season.

Also available to Wolff are freshman Etienne Brower, senior Daniel Daccarett and sophomore Kevin Burton. Wolff likened Brower to Collins and Seymour, noting the freshman’s size and athleticism.

With several options and combinations to look to on offense, Wolff said the Terriers should feature a balanced scoring attack. However, with a group of players of similar size and skill, the coach said each player will have to earn his time on the floor.

‘To get on the court consistently, they’re going to have to play consistently,’ Wolff said. ‘I’m not going to have a lot of patience for guys that aren’t doing the little things defense, rebounding, hustle plays.’

Doing the little things wins championships, as Wolff certainly knows. BU will get contributions from everyone on offense this season, but that will not matter if the Terriers can not match that effort on defense.