Terriers look to sky in opener at Holy Cross

After all the practice, scouting, lineup shuffling and waiting, it finally starts Saturday afternoon for the Boston University men’s basketball team.

The Terriers open the regular season in a non-conference road game against the College of the Holy Cross at the Hart Center in Worcester, beginning what will prove to be a grueling first week of the season.

After battling the Crusaders, BU hosts No. 13 Saint Joseph’s University at home on Tuesday and plays at Big East power Boston College four days later.

But first for the Terriers is Holy Cross, a team led by junior guard Jave Meade, who averaged 10.5 points last season to go along with 193 assists. He was the Patriot League Preseason Offensive Player of the Year, and the Crusaders have been picked to win the conference for a fourth straight season in the preseason coaches and sports information directors’ poll.

BU head coach Dennis Wolff said early non-conference games are tricky to prepare for because opponents have yet to show their true technique.

‘It’s a difficult scout because [Holy Cross] has a number of different guys from last year, and as is the case with all these first games, you’re really not sure yet of the other team’s style of play,’ Wolff said. ‘So you have to be prepared to see a number of different things and hopefully we will have covered most of it prior to the game.’

Wolff said BU would rather play an up-tempo game, simply because a methodical halfcourt set does not cater to the Terriers’ strengths.

‘I think [Holy Cross] can play bigger like they have in the past and stand in a halfcourt zone, or they could go a little bit smaller and try to make it more of an up-tempo, fullcourt game,’ Wolff said. ‘In my judgment, we need to prepare for both. I think a halfcourt, sort of plotting thing is not going to be to our advantage, and I think we need to extend the court somewhat on them. If they are willing to play that way, it might be better for us.’

Both clubs have one exhibition game under their belts and each won handily. BU beat the One on One Basketball All-Stars, 70-52, while Holy Cross defeated Saint Francis Xavier (Canada), 85-59.

Saturday’s matchup jumpstarts a local rivalry that went on a one-year hiatus last season. In 2001, BU beat the Crusaders, 61-49, but lost current senior Matt Turner for the season when he dislocated his left shoulder in the second half. He then received a medical redshirt for the remainder of the 2001-02 season.

Turner could be a key to this year’s team, but Wolff said any redemption for Turner should be made through smart basketball that will help the team win.

‘He needs to approach every game doing the things we need him to do from a fundamental standpoint,’ Wolff said. ‘If he does those things, he is talented enough to have terrific games every game.’

Harking back to the difficult beginning stretch of the season, Wolff said it will be a test of his team’s ability against higher profile programs.

‘I think our first week of the season is as tough a first week as any school like BU could have,’ Wolff said. ‘We have the [13th] ranked team in the country coming in Tuesday and then we are at BC. That’s a tough first seven days. We have some older guys, and we want to see what kind of team we have, so I think we will get an idea.’

As for opening the season on a positive note, BU does not have history on its side against Holy Cross. The Crusaders hold a 45-12 series advantage against the Terriers.

In any event, all the anxiousness and curiosity will come to a head Saturday for BU.

‘I’m excited about some of the guys I think have returned to form Turner and [junior guard Chaz] Carr, in particular and I’m excited about the chemistry of the team,’ Wolff said.

‘[Holy Cross] is a very good local team,’ he continued. ‘They have a terrific program and a successful coach. It should be a good game for us.’

The Terriers host No. 13 Saint Joseph’s University on Tuesday at Case Gymnasium. BU then plays local rival BC at Conte Forum on Saturday, Nov. 29.