Edgar A. Velez

It is comforting to read that Boston University’s Board of Trustees will take a reasonable time to find suitable candidates to preside the institution.

Having graduated from BU during the reign of now outgoing Chancellor Dr. John R. Silber, I sincerely hope the final decision comprises the wishes of the trustees, alumni (yes, I should be part of the equation since I contribute yearly to an athletic program), faculty and students.

BU has the capacity to become “the Stanford of the East” if all the right pieces fall into place. Right now it is seen as an overprized, second-tier national university. That’s one reason BU suffers from an anemic endowment.

Back in the 12th century, the early European universities were corporations of students and masters, and together they elected their own rectors or presidents. To this day, who has not heard about Oxford, Cambridge and Paris? I see a place for the students in the decision-making, since their tuition dollars is the economic engine that keeps BU running.

I am open to provide my two cents. Now, would anybody contact me?

Truly yours,

Edgar A. Vélez College of Arts ‘ Sciences 1986 N. Richland Hills, TX 817.577.9086