JAN. 7: Vermont to join Hockey East in 2005-06

The University of Vermont will become Hockey East’s 10th member for the 2005-2006 season, according to United States College Hockey Online. A news conference is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday in Burlington, Vt. to announce the Catamounts’ departure from the East Coast Athletic Conference, also according to USCHO.com.

The addition comes 11 years after Hockey East’s last membership change. The University of Massachusetts at Amherst joined the conference in time for the 1994-95 season. Merrimack College joined the original seven in 1989-1990.

The Terriers have tied the Catamounts in games each of the last two seasons, including a 2-2 deadlock at Gutterson Fieldhouse this season. But Vermont has struggled this year under first-year head coach Kevin Sneddon, going 0-11-2 in its first 13 games before recovering to go 2-2-1 in its past 5.

For more on this story, check the first issue of the Spring 2004 semester next Monday. Continue to check www.dailyfreepress.com for sports updates as the men’s and women’s basketball teams and the hockey team all look to continue their undefeated streaks tonight.