Board names consultant firm for governance review

The Boston University Board of Trustees officially announced Thursday that Chicago-based business consulting firm A.T. Kearney will help the board with its investigation of governance practices, according to a BU press release.

A.T. Kearney’s work will be headed by Dr. Avner Porat, an emeritus officer of the firm. Trustee spokeswoman Nancy Sterling said at least two other senior officers from the firm will be involved.

The appointment came as a recommendation from the ad hoc committee governance committee, formed shortly after the turmoil surrounding former President-elect Daniel S. Goldin.

Sterling said the ad hoc committee’s next meeting will be soon. The full board will not meet again until the spring.

“I know that [board Vice-Chairman Dexter] Dodge has them on a fairly aggressive schedule,” she said. “I would think that it would be within the next month.”

Dodge said in December that the search for BU’s ninth president could start this summer. Sterling said it was unknown as to whether A.T. Kearney would be involved in the search itself, though the group is also an executive search firm.

Sterling could not elaborate on the specifics of the 15 other candidates the board looked into, but said “it was a very extensive list of some top-level people with a lot of expertise in a lot of relevant fields.”

Sterling could not comment on how much the board will pay A.T. Kearney.

A.T. Kearney has worked with numerous education institutions including Boston College, Colgate University, New York University and Northeastern University, according to the firm’s website.