Ceiling tiles fall at Fresh Food Co.

The West Campus dining hall closed for about an hour and a half Sunday afternoon after several ceiling tiles in two areas of the dining hall fell to the ground. No one was injured.

Tiles near the dining hall’s pizza station fell at about noon and tiles above the soda dispensers near Claflin Hall fell at about 12:30 p.m., according to students who saw the tiles fall.

Geoff Wilson, assistant food service director for the West Campus Fresh Food Company, was not working when the incident occurred but said he heard the tiles fall. He said it was because hot air within cold pipes above the dining hall expanded and burst.

College of General Studies freshman Angela Simsuangco said she and a friend were nearly hit by the tiles that fell near the pizza station.

“The roof started leaking water and then a few minutes later tiles just started popping off,” she said. “If we didn’t move, it probably would have fallen on our heads.”

Buildings ‘ Grounds employees advised dining hall staff to close the dining hall between about 1:30 and 3 p.m. so they could make sure the rest of the tiles were secure.

At dinner on Sunday evening, the seating area near the pizza station was roped off and the pizza station was moved to another area of the dining hall.