Riders pay up for new T fares

More than a week after the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority increased bus and subway fares to cover a budget deficit and pay for service improvements, riders appear to have made a smooth transition to the new fare structure, MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said last week.

Pesaturo said the MBTA will use the increased revenue to add capacity to the green line at night, increase the frequency of service on busy bus routes and hire additional police officers. The MBTA has already purchased 580 environmentally friendly buses to replace the diesel buses in operation since the late 1980s.

“People on Commonwealth Avenue will see more two-car trains at night,” he said.

The fare increase, in effect since Jan. 3, raised bus fares from 75 cents to 90 cents and subway fares from one dollar to $1.25. Fares on the Night Owl buses, however, increased from 75 cents to $1.50. Commuter rail and ferry prices increased as well.

Boston University students buying semester T passes will be spared paying the higher fares this semester, however.

The MBTA raised fares to avoid making service cuts and to meet a $25 million gap in its budget, according to Pesaturo. The new fare structure is expected to generate approximately $49 million annually. The MBTA expects to make $329 million for fiscal year 2005, up from $280 million in 2004.

Pesaturo also said T tokens will become obsolete in another year. The MBTA plans to start using automated “smart cards” with magnetic strips, as other cities such as New York and Chicago now use.

The MBTA is not worried that higher fares will discourage riders, Pesaturo said.

“We believe people will continue using the T,” he said. “It is still the best deal in town.”

James Oliver, chairman of the Access Advisory Committee to the MBTA, said he supported the fare hike and deemed it necessary to acquire new trains, modernize subway stations and provide better services to the disabled community.

“The MBTA is running very efficiently,” Oliver said. “There is no possibility of another fare hike until 2006.”

Khalida Smalls, coordinator for the T Riders Union, said the MBTA has valid financial problems, but she disagreed with some of its planned projects. Smalls said many of the capital planning projects are costly and could be implemented later or in a more cost-effective manner.

“We are disappointed that the fares have to be raised,” Smalls said. “We offered the MBTA many ideas for alternative sources of income.”

Smalls also took issue with the lack of discounted transfers, saying passengers who use a bus and train to arrive at their final destination end up paying much more.

“In other systems, there are discounts for using two modes of transportation,” Smalls said. “If you consider these passengers, Boston becomes the fourth most expensive transit system.”

One of the MBTA’s concessions in the contentious debate leading up to the fare hike was the formation of a Rider Oversight Committee to address the concerns of riders and advocacy groups. The committee, which will include top MBTA managers, advocacy groups and regular commuters, will meet every month to discuss riders’ concerns.

Smalls said the T Riders Union “pushed” the MBTA to create an oversight committee so riders could communicate directly with officials.

While T customers may not welcome the higher fares, Pesaturo said there were no organized protests or instances where riders refused to pay the new fare.

But several T riders said the hikes have been a pain.

“The new fare amount is very inconvenient,” said Michael Castellanos, a regular commuter and student at Northeastern University.

Castellanos said he dislikes the fare hike, but will not be discouraged from using the T.

Daniela Lewis, a weekend T rider and also a student at Northeastern, said she dislikes the new fares but would be willing to reconsider her position if the MBTA improves the services it currently provides.