Colleges reluctant to fund Allston study

Boston City Councilor Jerry McDermott (Allston, Brighton) has asked universities expanding into Allston to fund a study on how their development will affect traffic in Allston-Brighton, but the universities are reluctant to front the money.

McDermott asked Boston University, Harvard University and Boston College for funding because “as they grow, it will have an effect on us, the long-time residents [of Allston Brighton],” he said.

Each institution’s expansion will create traffic problems in neighboring communities, according to Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation Executive Director Bob Van Meter.

“I think transportation is one of the big issues for [Allston-Brighton] in dealing with growth and development,” Van Meter said.

He called McDermott’s proposal a good idea, but he said Boston University is less engaged in Allston-Brighton than Boston College and Harvard University.

“BU is growing, as are the other institutions,” he said.

But BU spokesman Colin Riley said he was unaware of the study and that the university does not intend to get involved.

“Studies were already done last year and construction is taken care of,” he said.

McDermott said that although he cannot force universities to fund the study, they would be better neighbors and partners if they did fund it.

“Mayor [Thomas] Menino agreed that the study was warranted,” he said. “We’re both very much in tune. I think that when the mayor reaches out to universities, something constructive will happen.”

Harvard and BC representatives agree that the study is needed but said neither university has committed funds.

“A comprehensive transportation study is just an idea at this point, but we look forward to continuing the conversation with the mayor, local elected officials and community leaders,” said Harvard spokeswoman Lauren Marshall.

She said Harvard is currently planning academic uses for the Allston Landing property, which the university bought last spring, and the university is still thinking about long-term academic needs.

On the other end of the spectrum, BC Community Affairs Director Bill Mills said the university is willing to sit and talk about a traffic study but that “no one knows what they’re trying to measure.”

“We listen to anyone and have an open mind but haven’t been contacted by anyone but McDermott,” Mills said. “Price is going to have a big impact on what we do.”

The transportation study was originally set to cost $50,000, but McDermott said it could cost as much as $200,000. Because the study is only in early planning stages, no exact cost has been set.

Mills said the final cost is likely to be much higher.

“$50,000 was way too low,” Mills said.

Marshall said Harvard hopes to preserve Allston’s natural diversity and bring benefits to the university and the neighborhood, such as improved transportation, enhanced retail and better landscaping.

“We have, in our Allston properties, a historic opportunity to build our long-term academic strength, while contributing to the vitality of one of our important home communities,” Harvard President Lawrence Summers wrote in a letter to the university community. “The choices we make in the coming years about this extraordinary opportunity will do much to shape Harvard for decades to come.”

Marshall said any development is years away, but McDermott projects that in three months, residents “will see some kind of announcement.”