Kids and BU Hockey Team

They Lost the Game But Won the Hearts BU Terriers Teach Kids a Valuable Lesson

The Boston University Terriers have indeed done it again. In an earlier letter to the paper I thanked the BU Ice Hockey Terriers for allowing children from the Giving Tree Foundation (devoted to children with brain injuries) to work out with the team one day during the season. The kids were thrilled by the attention of the players and a follow-up care package from Kathi Brown and Coach Parker. It was truly inspirational and our kids were and are fervently exercising to become future Boston University hockey players.

Just as thrilling was the game against Providence on February 6th. Despite the horrible weather, we had several kids and parents show up to support the BU team. Although it was unfortunate that despite playing wonderfully the team lost, a great lesson was about to be learned.

After the game, the children waited to see if they could meet the players. They had their posters clutched in their hands and Sharpies available for autographs from their beloved new friends on the team. The parents were telling their children that the players might be upset because of their loss to Providence and not to be disappointed if they didn’t come out to socialize.

Not only did they come out, but they ALL came out. These terriers were so kind that the adults were floored. They were already talking about the next game at the Beanpot against BC with great hope. It was an amazing example for our children. Losing is a hard thing to accept, especially when you are young. These kids have operations that make it agonizing to even stand up. It requires a great deal of exercise and discomfort to get control over their muscles again. When they see the BU Terriers battle a team, lose gracefully, and then try again as hard as they can to win, it’s a wonderful example of perseverance. And lets face it, that Beanpot game was an amazing fight to the finish. It really looked like BU was going to win it.

My little Jack has his operation next Wednesday and he is preparing to have the same perseverance as his idolized hockey players that represent Boston University. He knows it will be hard, that he’ll want to quit trying, but he’s been given a great example. Our children are returning on the 20th to watch the BU/Massachusetts game and if cheering helps them along, listen for the screams from The Giving Tree Foundation group, because we’ll have plenty. Thank you for this opportunity to publicly thank the BU Hockey Players, Coach Jack Parker and his marvelous assistant, Kathi Brown for giving these kids so much inspiration and helping the parents by leading through example.

Anne Mahon

Anne Mahon is the mother of a six year old who suffers from mild cerebral palsy.