A band Spiraling toward greatness

Combining elements of traditional rock ‘n’ roll with emo and punk influences, Spiraling’s catchy lyrics and highly addictive sound enthralled the crowd at the Middle East Downstairs Feb. 3.

Multitalented frontman Tom Brislin’s use of the synthesizers on “Lighting Twice” added a unique twist that only a live performance could feature.

Their unrestrained attitude was reminiscent of today’s harder rock bands and proved that although they may be a small-town band, they do not play small-town music.

Spiraling showed off their latest CD Transmitter with “(Get Your Own) Holy Grail,” “This Is the Road” and “(I Don’t Want To) Grow Up.”

After starting off somewhat subdued, the crowd of roughly 100 became energetic and lively by the show’s ending of A-ha’s classic “Take on Me.”

Though the band’s lineup has changed repeatedly since Brislin’s ’90s band You Were Spiraling, guitarist Marty O’Kane, bassist Bob Hart and drummer Paul Wells have been together with Brislin for two years.

Brislin does all the songwriting, but each of the members’ personalities showed on stage. Afterward, an enthused Brislin invited the audience to talk with them after the show.

Eager to answer questions, Brislin said, “I got into music because it was always in my house. My folks, my brother, my sister all played music … but being the baby in the family, I had to get attention somehow so I started playing the piano.”

Brislin draws influences from many sources, ranging from the Beatles to Elvis Costello and Weezer.

With their riveting stage performance and dynamic music, Spiraling is definitely a band to follow.