Maison Robert perfect for Valentine’s

Since 1972, Maison Robert has brought Boston classic French dishes, such as foie gras with sauted apples and wild mushroom torte with sauted greens, and made its mark with New England innovations like Maine Lobster sauted with tomatoes, brandy and cream.

Try saying no to the roasted duck breast in a green peppercorn wine sauce served with creamed spinach and fried cubed potatoes. The duck was embarrassingly tender and perfectly gamey. It had all the subtleties of poultry and none of the puniness.

Duck meat, which ought to be called “the other red meat,” rises to any occasion with enough texture, fat and a certain je ne sais quoi to make even the most callous man weep.

For beef lovers, Maison Robert also offers a Black Angus prime rib for two and grilled filet mignon or New York strip steak custom cut for one or more.

One of the most impressive attributes of this style of food is the restraint shown on the plate. While the sauces may be rich, the meats pure and the tortes buttery, they serve just enough of them, avoiding any traces of overkill and leaving more room for the superb desserts.

Two desserts must be ordered ahead of time. One is the wicked-sounding upside-down apple tart with an apple brandy sauvignon. The other is the chocolate souffl, which does not disappoint. Upon its arrival, a server fills it with your choice of sauce: crme anglaise (vanilla) or chocolate. The souffl is a demonstration in contrasts: hot and cold, airy and rich, crusty and moist.

Other notable temptations include a princess cake – made of vanilla genoise, almond marzipan and whipped cream – and the chocolate and Grand Marnier cake with raspberry coulis.

Between the luxurious main dining room and the beautifully conceived food, Maison Robert is a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion or simply bask in the warm glow of indulgence.