‘MyDoom’ attacks harmless at BU

The “MyDoom” computer worm, which hit email inboxes around the world and caused problems for computers users in early February, is under control within the Boston University computer system, according to Office of Information Technology Director Jim Stone.

“I’d say it’s quite well contained on this campus, but not contained worldwide,” he said.

While many people opened the virus’ emails, which included the ‘MyDoom’ worm, Stone said most BU students were able to avoid the virus.

“I’m not aware of any damage besides inconvenience, annoyance and many undeliverable messages,” he said.

Many students, like College of Arts and Sciences senior Mike Peterson, said they received the infected emails but were able to avoid infection.

“I just deleted them,” Peterson said. “I didn’t open them and my programs seem to work fine.”

But though the “MyDoom” problem has been solved, Stone warned that similar viruses will likely strike BU computers in the future.

“I wish we could [prepare for the next attack], but then I would be a very rich man if I could predict the next virus and stop it ahead of time,” he said.

Although the Office of Information Technology responded with an email filter within hours of when the worm was detected, Peterson said he was disappointed with the university’s assistance with the worm.

“I wish they had made it clearer as to what risks the virus posed and how to solve the problem,” Peterson said.

But CAS junior Matt Bezerman said he does not fault the university.

“I’m not sure there is much that BU can do,” he said. “People really just need to be more aware of what they’re opening up and exposing their computer to.

“Since the virus was through the BU email list, at the very least the university should cover costs to fix any damage done,” he added.

Students can protect their computers by keeping antivirus software current and active, Stone said.

“[Students] can do the specific things I’ve been saying for years,” he said. “Get antivirus software. If you get it, make sure your definition files are up to date. It doesn’t do any good to have virus definitions that are two, three or even one year old.”

Stone said the Office of Information Technology has already begun to prepare for the next attack, but stressed the difficulty of fully securing the BU system against similar problems.

“We have our standard mechanisms, but a virus has a signature and a behavior that has to be analyzed as part of your containment process,” Stone said. “You really don’t know what’s coming.”

A new version of the “MyDoom” virus began infecting computers recently, according to MSNBC reports. The new variant is different from the first two that started in late January. The new version, which is being called “Doomjuice,” does not spread by email but rather takes advantage of a “back door” left by the “MyDoom” virus.

While the first two versions of “MyDoom” targeted the SCO Group, a software solutions firm for small businesses, “Doomjuice” attacks Microsoft.com, according to MSNBC.

“Viruses are not going away,” Stone said. “Worms are not going away. These things are all different types of vulnerabilities. They are not going away. In fact, there is every reason to believe they will get worse and not better.”