The Stills preach politics

When it comes to Canadian imports, America hasn’t had one with such musical aptitude and a fervent message as the Stills since Alanis Morissette.

However, unlike Morissette’s screeching and muscular aggression, the Stills express their political but endearing angst in a truly Canadian way – firmly and politely.

The Stills’ debut album, Logic Will Break Your Heart, received enthusiastic reviews following its U.S. release in October, and Boston got its own taste as the Canadian quartet played at TT the Bear’s Place in Cambridge Feb. 3.

As the indie-chic audience packed into the club, hordes of girls clamored for the front row. When the Stills arrived onstage, it was easy to see why. The four boys, all in simple laidback attire, looked like extras from a FOX teen drama – skinny, wide-eyed and easy on the eyes.

As they began to rip through the night’s first song, it became apparent that these boys were more than just window dressing. Their distinct sound simultaneously evoked the spirits of British pop and ’80s new wave.

The Stills sound much bouncier live. Their light sound and beefy guitar riffs kept the audience on their toes, downplaying their scathing political references to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11.

The crowd got most excited for the hit single “Lola Stars and Stripes,” in which frontman Tim Fletcher crooned, “This one’s for Lola” with a wide puppy grin. During “Allison Krausse,” the Stills showed off their darker, more brooding side with a jam-like feeling.

During most of the show, Fletcher vibrated and bonded with the audience. Bassist Oliver Crowe mouthed all the words – even though he didn’t seem to know them all – and wandered in circles until the encore, when he climbed on the speakers.

Greg Paquet played a charged, wistful guitar as drummer Dave Hamelin stole the show when he took over for the encore’s “Yesterday Never Tomorrows.” He wrinkled his forehead and clutched the microphone while his bandmates toned down their instruments.

But amid the Stills’ serious musical vibe, they showed a thin line of humor. Fletcher tried his best to joke with the crowd, and Hamelin’s grin was contagious. At times the Stills can be contradictory, but they never come off as hypocrites; their struggle to pull off a solid live show just made them more endearing.