Cardamone not the ‘Sports Guy’

n If Red Sox Nation was looking for any messages, I’m sure they would not be taking them from Nick Cardamone. His Thursday sports column (“Message to Red Sox Nation: relax,” pg. 16, Feb. 19) was unintelligent and ridiculous. Seriously get over yourselves — they’re not meant to be serious.

Nick Cardamone, I’m sorry you are not the Sports Guy. Why don’t you just come out and quote his entire article about the Yankees and your Red Sox Nation? If I wanted that, I would have gone to Page 2 of espn.com, which I did the night before your article. The only correct, logical statement made in the entire article was that Alex Rodriguez was traded to the New York Yankees and that he is a great player. Following this statement, not one thing was a true fact or a clever thought.

Todd Walker, who broke all those postseason records for you last season, is wearing a Cubs uniform. Sorry to inform you there. The Sox have improved their pitching staff and Keith Foulke is an amazing acquisition, but he is still not Mariano. David Ortiz may have had a great year, but I personally didn’t see him bringing any joy to his team and I don’t understand how he was a clubhouse anchor. Throughout the year, Ortiz sat on the bench either alone or with Manny Ramirez, but Manny must also be another clubhouse anchor huh?

And yes, it is correct that Grady Little is no longer the manager, but how do you know this is a great thing? The man led the Sox to 95 wins last year and within five outs of the World Series. Apparently everyone knows that Grady should have pulled Pedro for Mike Timlin, but how do you tell your best player to come out when he wants the ball? Even if he pulled Pedro he clearly would have gone to Alan Embree in order to get the lefty-lefty match up against Hideki Matsui, and when Embree screwed up, Pedro would be crying to the media for Grady pulling him and you would still be cursing Grady. I’m sure Terry Francona won’t ever make any of those mistakes.

While A-Rod is denting cars in the parking lot with his hitting at Yankee camp, why don’t you give your star Pedro a call to see how his distant cousin is doing with that severe case of strep throat instead of writing unintelligent articles to calm Red Sox Nation.

Bryan Engels

SMG ’06