EDIT: Committee on right track

Boston University administrators and faculty have taken the initiative of directing their attention toward the people who make up the institution – students. An eight-member committee is working on finding ways student life lacks at BU, focusing on getting tips from students, through focus groups and surveys, on how best to improve the quality of life on campus.

Student life has always been a problem on campus – particularly under the reign of President emeritus John Silber. Forming the committee follows directly along the course of President Aram Chobanian’s administration – listening to the concerns of the students and allowing for the possibility of change.

The committee is doing great work. The group is looking thoroughly to find out where students are having problems and trying to find real solutions – Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs Anne Shea should be commended for organizing the effort and the participants should be lauded for caring. Administrations past may have known there were student life problems at BU but did not do anything about them. This group of administrators and faculty members is.

There is one minor problem. The eight-member panel has been meeting since it was formed in November but students have not been included in the direct discussion and the meetings have been kept from the public.

While Committee Chair Laurie Phol has said that the group’s main goal is to purge the “red tape” commonly linked to ties between administrators and students, the committee may not be going at it in the most effective way.

If the group really wants to improve the quality of student life on campus, students should be involved in the process. While it is a huge step forward to have eight administrators specifically focusing on student issues, not one of those eight administrators live the life of a student. It is true that the most common student concerns will be brought to their attention and will probably be discussed during the organized focus groups and surveys – but giving students a seat at the table during substantive discussions about what to do about student life issues would guarantee that problems will be solved. The committee should consider adding students.

Student life is a constant concern on college campuses. Schools across the country handle student life differently, and the committee should look at the way other schools handle student life concerns and orient their student bodies. By comparing schools with similar situations, like size and location, the group may be able to concentrate on plans that are already working. Indeed, BU already has a handicap because of its urban location and gigantic size. But tips from other schools that have faced the same problems could give an interesting perspective.

The committee is an excellent idea and a much-needed course of action. The group should incorporate students more directly, but it is are on the right track.