EDIT: Spain should not pull troops

The Spanish Socialist Party did not waste any time before making huge policy changes with repercussions for the rest of the world after last week’s terrorist attacks.

Socialist Party leader Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero announced just one day after being placed into office that he plans to pull all of Spain’s troops out of Iraq by June. Getting out of the Middle Eastern country was a main Socialist campaign pledge. But while the incoming party is correct in wishing to fulfill the campaign promises it made that placed it in power, taking such immediate action is not the correct way solve those problems – especially after the recent terrorist attacks. The move may only make things less safe for the world.

While Zapatero is not immediately pulling the troops, he was extremely quick to announce his decision to remove the troops. He has set a June 30 deadline for the United Nations to take control – which just so happens to fall on the same day the United States has promised to allow the interim Iraqi government to take power. The times before and after any terrorist attack are extremely different and must be addressed as such. Zapatero must not simply set aside the terrorist attacks, which rocked Spain to the core. He must act as a leader and focus on the well-being of his country before making foreign policy changes, not to mention the safety of people around the world. Deciding to immediately announce the move might easily be construed as a reaction to the terrorist attacks. Terrorist attacks are designed to strike fear and cause policy change, and some may dangerously see the attacks as having succeeded in doing just that.

Spain has every right to change its foreign policy and remove troops from Iraq, but such a decision must not come as a response to attacks of terror or the terrorists will succeed. Spain’s decision will give the impression to some that terrorism does work and if enough people are killed the terrorists will win. Indeed, Zapatero’s move could put everyone who is put in danger by international terrorism – that’s everyone in the world – in an even more perilous position.

There is no doubt the election was greatly affected by the attacks. A large number of voters went to the polls as a reaction to the attacks, in an attempt to oust the government they think put them in danger of terrorism in the first place. But regardless of who was elected to lead Spain on that day, lead they must do. A true leader would keep the safety of his or her people as the number one interest – not a campaign promise. Zapatero could still have fulfilled the campaign promise that helped him into office, but first he should have dealt with assessing the damage and finding the best response in due time.