Bitter ending to sweet season

KINGSTON, R.I. – The Boston University men’s basketball team stumbled into the Ryan Center Wednesday night, woozy and still feeling the effects of its stunning quarterfinal loss to Stony Brook University in the America East Tournament.

While the Terriers tried their best to hide their wounds from the University of Rhode Island in the opening round game of the National Invitation Tournament, it didn’t take long for the host Rams to expose BU as an already-beaten foe.

Rhode Island (20-13) scored the game’s first nine points and laughed its way to a dominating 80-52 win, pounding the Terriers (23-6) into submission and marking an ugly end to what was supposed to be a stellar BU season.

“I don’t know if there’s any secret to what happened there,” BU coach Dennis Wolff said after the Terriers’ most lopsided defeat of the year. “It was a butt-kicking from beginning to end. I’m very disappointed in the way we played.”

From the start, the Terriers looked apathetic and ready to end their season. The team that had once won 23 out of 24 games didn’t show up to play the Rams.

“That wasn’t the same team that I looked at for most of the year,” a visibly upset Wolff said of his squad. “We looked like a team that had run out of gas.”

Rhode Island toyed with the Terriers in the first half, getting and making any shot it wanted. The Rams hit seven of their 11 three-point attempts (good for 64 percent), and of their 15 first-half field goals, 12 of them were assisted.

BU, way on the other hand, was 0-for-13 from behind the three-point line. For the first half, the Terriers shot just 32 percent and made mistakes usually reserved for their opponents. Jumping to make a pass but eventually throwing the ball away. Taking poor shots early in the shot clock. Not getting back on defense.

“We were just fortunate to make some early shots and get it going,” said Rhode Island coach Jim Baron, who wouldn’t admit that the Terriers did not look like themselves. “We wanted to play aggressively. We like to play that way.”

Chaz Carr’s absence for the game’s first 9:42 had a clear effect on the Terriers. The junior guard did not start because of an unspecified violation of team rules, prompting Wolff to insert freshman Etienne Brower into the starting five. Without its leading scorer for the first 10 minutes, BU looked downright confused on offense.

The Terriers trailed 43-22 at intermission, but showed signs of life – Shaun Wynn and Carr hit back-to-back jumpers – to start the second half. Rhode Island, however, quickly regained control, scoring eight straight points.

The Rams pushed their lead all the way to 36 points when Steve Mello canned one of Rhode Island’s 11 three-balls, making the score 75-39 with 7:30 to play and sending some of the 4,435 in attendance to the exits.

Four Rams scored in double figures, led by Mello’s 13 points. He and junior Dawan Robinson (12 points) combined to nail seven of 10 three-pointers. Robinson’s range could have been the Ryan Center parking lot, as he was draining from 22 to 24 feet with ease.

Lost in the dreadful BU performance was Rashad Bell’s aggressive play. The junior forward looked like the only Terrier who came prepared, scoring 14 points and pulling down seven rebounds. Carr, who hit four threes of his own, also dropped 14.

Two weeks ago there was excitement and anticipation swirling around the Terriers as they prepared to march through the America East Tournament to the NCAA Tournament.

But a shocking upset and an embarrassing effort later, BU’s season – which may be remembered for its final two losses rather then its previous 23 wins – is over.

“I don’t think any of us wanted the season to end the way it has, but unfortunately that’s the nature of what we do,” Wolff said. “The Stony Brook game was different than this. This was a poorly played game where we didn’t look ready or into it really to the degree that we had been into it in the season.”

Wolff was asked if he would be back on the BU sideline next season, and the head coach said yes without hesitation.

But after the beating he watched his team take on Wednesday, you couldn’t have blamed him if he had had to think about his response before answering.