Curbing drinking a constant challenge

Everybody knows Boston is the nation’s top college town, and some area universities are trying to beat a problem plaguing campuses across the country: binge drinking.

Northeastern University is expanding its anti-drinking programs in the aftermath of the Super Bowl riots that claimed the life of a student’s brother while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology continues to build programs it has focused on since a 1997 alcohol-related death of one of its students.

“These tragedies make colleges look at the climate and student experience on campus,” said Daniel Trujillo, associate dean of the MIT office of Community Development and Substance Abuse Programs.

Unlike Northeastern, MIT did not experience any rowdiness after the Super Bowl, Trujillo said.

“At a bigger school where athletics plays a greater role in campus life,” riots after sporting events are a problem, he said. “But we’re not a Michigan or Ohio State. Ten years ago, you didn’t see that. It was extremely rare.”

Jonathan Birnberg, a representative of the Northeastern University Lane Health Center, said the school is “in the investigative stage” of improving anti-drinking and alcohol education programs.

“We’re trying to figure out what a thoughtful response would be after the Super Bowl riots,” he said. “If we flay around, we lose credibility, and credibility is very important.”

Northeastern has already changed its policy on when a student can meet with a counselor after experiencing alcohol poisoning.

All students who are transported by an ambulance for alcohol poisoning previously had to wait until the lengthy judiciary process was completed before they could meet with a counselor. The policy was changed to allow students to meet with a counselor for an evaluation as soon as they choose, regardless of the judicial process.

A group of people is evaluating how to improve current alcohol management and counseling programs and implement new ones at Northeastern, Birnberg said.

MIT anti-drinking and alcohol management programs have not ceased springing up since the 1997 alcohol related death of student Scott Krueger, which brought the problem of binge drinking on college campuses to the nation’s attention.

Just last year, MIT students took control of the ambulance service.

“It makes it easy for students to have no discomfort getting medical help,” said Alan Siegel, chief of Mental Health Services at MIT.

About 50 students have been trained to operate the service. Students also run most of the anti-drinking and alcohol education and management programs at MIT. They are trained as EMS members, involved in community outreach programs and educate other students on the effects of alcohol abuse.

“Since students are very much involved, students haven’t felt like the programs are enforcement,” Siegel said. “It’s an educational process. It’s not about being critical, but about being helpful.”

Students also plan alcohol-free social events every weekend, which have included 3-D Pictionary with clay, large-scale X-Box Halo tournaments in classrooms and a battle of the bands, Trujillo said.

The programs at MIT became so popular that the school created new positions to help manage them. Trujillo’s position was created in January of 2002 when Community Development and Substance Abuse became an office within the division of student life.

The programs are designed “not to preach abstinence, but to encourage responsible drinking,” Trujillo said. He added that the main goal of the programs is early intervention.

The Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students Program provides a short-term response for students who feel they have or may develop an alcohol problem.

After four weeks of being at school, freshmen are paid $20 in “Tech Cash” to fill out an online survey. Students are invited based on how they answer the survey, which asks questions about how frequently students drink, how many drinks they have per sitting and what negative consequences they may have experienced from drinking, as well as whether students have concerns about their own alcohol use.

Trained counselors interview small groups of students, and both parties offer feedback, Trujillo said. The BASICS program usually lasts one to two sessions and is also used as a judiciary response.

“Students really like it,” he said. “We’ve gotten a lot of good feedback.”

Trujillo said student participation drives the programs.

“It’s important because students know what’s relevant and faculty do not,” he said.

The CDSA also works with students who want to hold alcohol-free events. Any student or group can submit a proposal for an activity and the CDSA, The Office of Student Life Programs and the Office of the Dean for Student Life provide the financial backing if the event is approved.

At Boston University, the Health and Wellness Center is mostly focused on general health care. It offers programs for stress management, sexual health, sleep, physical fitness and alcohol education events.

“The legal drinking age, that’s by law 21 years old, the university shouldn’t have to say it,” said center Director Dr. Leah Fygetakis. “We all know what the laws are. Now how can we assist students to make wise choices?”

Throughout the year, the center sets up a table at the George Sherman Union link with alcohol education pamphlets and sometimes fun side items.

Before spring break, the center held a “mocktail party” where alcohol-free piña coladas were served, calypso music was played and information on how to have a safe spring break was offered.

In the fall, the link table at the GSU is used as a survey station during National Screening Day. Students are invited to fill out surveys and have health and wellness representatives evaluate the survey with them on the spot.

The center also recognizes every BU student’s 21st birthday with a card explaining the dangers and effects of alcohol use, along with a coupon for a free Starbucks drink.

“Some might think it’s cute, others say it’s lame,” Fygetakis said.

A recent “Absolut Reality” alcohol workshop drew 23 students to learn about the effects of alcohol.

Although the Health and Wellness Center offers a few events throughout the year, it mostly operates by invitations from fraternities, sororities or other clubs who want someone to speak to their organization about the effects of alcohol.

All BU students can partake in the center’s Healthfair on the last day of classes, where there will be raffles, bands and dance performances sprinkled throughout health care information stations on everything from chiropractics to Alcoholics Anonymous. The event will take place in the GSU ballroom.

“It’s easy for students to turn a deaf ear and say ‘Yeah, yeah, we know we’re not 21,'” Fygetakis said. “We want you to take responsibility for your body.”

All three colleges train residence advisors in how to talk about and deal with drug and alcohol problems, and all have sexual abuse outreach programs that explain the effects of alcohol.

Northeastern and MIT both have freshmen outreach programs on alcohol education and mandatory counseling programs for students who violate university drinking codes.