Elmore chooses cable members

Administrators have selected members of a committee to explore bringing cable to campus, and the body will likely meet in about two weeks for the first time, Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said Wednesday.

Elmore said he is currently in the process of notifying the members and declined to give their names.

“We’re trying to get schedules together,” Elmore said.

President ad interim Aram Chobanian said in an email Tuesday that he will only play an indirect role in the committee.

“The committee will report to me but I will not be a member,” he said.

Student Union President Carl Woog said he is “excited” to hear about what the committee decides and is looking forward to the meetings he plans to attend. Although he said he is not an acting member of the committee, he will help preside over the meetings.

“I will be acting as an ‘official’ member of the committee,” he said. “As [members of the ‘True 2’ slate], we have been advocating for this since day one … I am excited about the prospects.”

Woog was unable to speculate on who the members of the committee are, though he said the group will mostly be composed of students. He said the chairman of the committee will be responsible for organizing the committee, including setting up a timeline for the committee. The whole committee will decide which cable companies to look into and make recommendations for how to implement cable if it decides to endorse the idea.

The Union recommended to Elmore who to select for the committee, Woog said. Also, the Residence Life Committee, under the direction on Vice President of Residence Life Mike Myers, has been working on a report for the committee reviewing cable systems at other campuses. The committee is working on a rough draft at this point.

Myers said the group began by looking at the top 150 colleges, based on the 2003 U.S. News and World Report rankings. Then the group investigated 30 of those schools, focusing on five to seven that were most similar to Boston University, including New York University, the University of Miami and Emory University, he said.

“We did about 30 schools in general,” Myers said. “Then we picked five similar schools for in-depth reports and did a broad sampling of the others.”

The group focused on student usage of cable at other schools, how the systems worked and the number and usage of student-run channels.

The group plans to finish the report by the end of the week, Myers said, and it will be ready to present its findings to the newly formed committee by its first meeting.