Women don third straight

Despite a rocky start, the Boston University women’s tennis team put on an impressive show Wednesday to defeat the University of San Francisco in a 5-2 decision at the BU Track and Tennis Center.

After the Terriers’ (9-2) No. 2 singles player Elena deMendoza came down with the flu, coach Lesley Sheehan was forced to realign both lineups. The resulting top doubles team of senior captain Lindsey Dynof and freshman Erin Katims provided BU with its only doubles win of the day as they defeated Camille Pamart and Joana Laranjiha 8-2.

Playing at second doubles, Elisa Glas and Laura Ahmes lost their match 8-4, while the third doubles team of Aimee Charest and Gabrielle Hernandez was defeated 8-3 to give the Dons (7-5) the doubles point.

Rebounding from the doubles defeat, the Terriers dominated in singles, winning five of six matches in straight sets. Dynof got her second win of the day as she defeated Pamart 6-2, 6-0. Katims, playing for the first time this season as the No. 2 spot, bested Megan Tiegs 6-1, 6-1.

Elisa Glas cleaned up in the No. 3 position 6-2, 6-2 while Ahmes claimed victory at the fourth spot, 6-1, 6-1. Hernandez finished off her opponent at No. 6, 6-2, 6-1, but Charest couldn’t pull out a win at the fifth singles position, losing a close one at 7-5, 6-3.

Although she was pleased with her team’s performance overall, Sheehan singled out Dynof and Katims as having exceptional days.

“Dynof has been playing very well all season and really performed great today winning in both doubles and singles,” Sheehan said. “[Katims] really stepped it up playing a position higher than she has been.”

The win marks the third time this season that the Terriers’ have run off three straight victories, their last loss coming on March 9 to Florida Atlantic University.

The team now heads south to Norfolk, Va. Saturday, where it will face Old Dominion University (4-6). BU will then face the College of William and Mary, alma mater of Terrier assistant coach Jessyca Arthur, on Sunday. The formidable William and Mary team, ranked 34th in the nation, includes the doubles team of Amy Wei and Meagan Muth, the No. 15 tandem in the country.

“We’re definitely going to have our hands full, but this could be a great opportunity for us if we could come away with a win,” Sheehan said of Sunday’s showdown.

If the Terriers earn a victory during the trip, it will mark the 11th straight year the team has earned 10 or more wins.