Top pols take potshots

Local politicians traded jokes, stories and playful insults Sunday morning at the city’s annual St. Patrick’s Day breakfast, leaving no person or issue out of harm’s way in preparation for the South Boston parade.

Legislators arranged comical anecdotes about fellow senators, representatives and city councilors who attended the historic breakfast at the Ironworkers Local 7 Union Hall.

Sen. Jack Hart (D-Boston) organized and mediated the breakfast, held annually to honor Irish immigrants and to celebrate South Boston’s deep Irish heritage.

“Only two rules stand today,” Hart said. “Don’t say anything bad about the Irish. Second, don’t say anything good about the governor.”

Democratic leaders were particularly rough on Republican Gov. Mitt Romney, singling out his Salt Lake City residence, driving skills and especially his ego.

“Love is in the air up at the Statehouse,” said Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.). “Flowers are in bloom, the weather is getting warmer, and just last week, Governor Romney was seen walking through the Public Garden holding his own hand.”

President George W. Bush phoned in to participate in the event and chose to make Romney his prime target as well.

“I know there’s a lot of talk about a Massachusetts politician who wants the presidency,” Bush said. “Tell Mitt it’s not open until 2008.”

Although he did not attend the breakfast, presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) phoned in to contribute to the festivities as well, addressing Romney’s suggestion to move the location of the Democratic National Convention this summer.

“I wanted to be there in person, but there was some confusion in my schedule,” Kerry said. “Mitt Romney told me for security reasons he moved the breakfast to Idaho.”

Sparing no issues, politicians joked about a variety of current events, including redistricting, the Big Dig and gay marriage.

“Weighing in on the gay marriage debate, several legislators came up with their own proposals,” said State Treasurer Timothy Cahill. “In fact, the [House] Speaker came up with his own marriage proposal. Although flattered, I declined.”

Several members of the Boston Bruins also made a surprise appearance, donning jerseys clad with green shamrocks and Irish versions of their names. Hal Gill’s jersey read “O’Gill” instead as he teased politicians over their changing political positions. Craig MacDonald, Brian Rolston and Sean O’Donnell, among others, accompanied Gill onstage.

Hart moderated the three-hour breakfast as attendees feasted on Irish soda bread, home fries and scrambled eggs at tables adorned with shamrock plants.

One small disturbance occurred when a protestor began ringing a cowbell as Romney took center stage. Romney brushed it off as he began his own slew of jokes.

“Can you believe this?” Romney said. “The one Republican in the room and they’re taking her out.”

Attendees were treated to breakfast accompanied by Irish song, music, food and step dancing between the quips and anecdotes. Many speakers also took the opportunity to honor United States troops at home and abroad.

Sunday’s was the eighth breakfast sponsored by Hart, held in honor of the many families who immigrated to South Boston from Ireland 200 years ago in hopes of a better life.