UNI students take BU pageant

The two students representing the University Professors Program won Sunday night’s second annual Mr. and Miss BU competition, as 200 students looked on in the George Sherman Union Ballroom.

One male and one female were selected to represent eight of the university’s colleges for the three-hour competition, coordinated by the Boston University Student Union Service Council. The event helped to raise money for Jane Doe Inc., an organization that provides services for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.

Mr. and Miss Boston University chair Rebecca Schultz said she was glad people supported the charity by attending the event, but hoped the pageant would “help to spark tradition and foster community at BU.”

The pageant included active wear, question and answer, evening wear and talent segments, as well as a choreographed dance performance by the contestants to Missy Elliot’s “Passed that Dutch.”

The talent portion of the pageant featured a belly dancing performance by Mr. and Miss College of Engineering, a duet by Mr. and Miss College of Fine Arts and a medley of “Summer Lovin’,” the “Itsy Bitsy Spider” and “Tony Chestnut” by Mr. and Miss School of Education.

Miss CFA Laura Quinn said she enjoyed participating in the event because it didn’t feel like a competition.

“The pageant wasn’t necessarily about beauty,” she said. “It was more about creativity, confidence and having fun.”

The event was hosted by BU sketch comedy group Slow Children at Play and featured performances by The Dear Abbeys, Chordially Yours and The Edge.

SED sophomore Jennifer Aponte said she came to the event to support her school and see the performances.

“I came to support Mr. and Miss SED and I also wanted to see the Dear Abbeys perform,” Aponte said.

CAS freshman Janey Ronxhi came to show support for her school, but she also acknowledged the talent of the other contestants.

“I think all the contestants are really good,” she said during intermission. “It’s going to be a tough decision for the judges to make.”

The judges ultimately chose UNI sophomore Leslie Stierman and UNI freshman Clay Neal as the winners of the pageant.

Mr. and Miss College of Communication and Mr. and Miss School of Management were the first and second runner-ups, respectively.

Although she didn’t win the competition, Quinn said she thought the outcome was fair.

“It wasn’t just about favorites,” she said.