Important part of story missing

I am writing in response to the “BU hosts multicultural weekend” article in Friday’s issue of The Daily Free Press (pg. 3). The article failed to mention that the Admission Student Diversity Board planned the event.

The Admissions Student Diversity Board is a group of students that represents the multicultural student population at Boston University, and while working in conjunction with the Office of Admissions, works to strengthen multicultural recruitment efforts. Although this year the board received a tremendous amount of support from the Office of the Dean of Students, as well as from the Admissions Office, this event has been part of a yearlong effort set forth by ASDB.

It was ASDB members that recruited more than 80 hosts in order to accommodate the prospective students attending this event. It was also ASDB members and volunteers that cooperated in making individual phone calls to each and every student attending the event and to those who did not attend but were still invited. Also, it was ASDB members that worked at the Admissions Office until late night hours the week prior to the event organizing folders, making calls and preparing for the prospective students’ arrival. With the help of the entire Boston University community, the Admissions Student Diversity Board was able to make this weekend possible.

It would have been adequate for Mr. Tim Heaney to mention the participation of this board in his article since it played such a vital role in the weekend. Although the board doesn’t ask for any recognition, it would only be fair to acknowledge those that dedicated so much time and effort in order to make this event a huge success.

Imelda Avila

SHA ’04

The author is a member of the Admissions Student Diversity Board.