Blood Drive a Necessity

Do you want to save a life? How about three? If you are free today from 2 to 8 pm, there is a Red Cross sponsored Blood Drive in the Warren Towers’ Cinema Room. The American Red Cross is dedicated to helping everyone out, and through blood donations, provide needed blood supply for all kinds of medical procedures, whether it be emergency surgeries or giving a normal life to someone with a normally debilitating blood-disorder. Colleges are a strong, reliable source for such donations, given that the majority of young adults are healthy, strong, and willing to help.

Blood donations are relatively simple. You have to check for your eligibility status through a series of yes or no questions, and get your general health and platelet level checked in a brief check up. You then simply wait for a table to free up and they get to work. At the end of it all, they give you a free back rub and make you stay for 10 minutes eating snacks and drinking juice. What a deal!

Healthy adults can donate every 56 days – I know, because I donated last February 2nd, and I just became eligible again just this past Tuesday. Massachusetts has a history of getting blood shortages towards the summer months, and every pint counts. According to the Red Cross, in New England alone, about 1500 blood donors are needed each day. There is no synthetic substitute for blood – every time someone needs blood, it’s there because someone took the time to donate. So, if you can, if you’re free, stop by and donate – I’ll be there.

Eric Cotter CAS ’06 Currently a candidate for President of the Student Union with PSYCHOTIC (Patient Students in Your College Helping to Obliterate The Inefficiencies on Campus)