Gay Adoption: The Facts

LETTER TO THE EDITOR.

Gay Adoption: The Facts

Is gay adoption right, or wrong? Before you answer this question, let’s consider the facts. Mr. Sullivan’s biased opinions in “Gay adoption is wrong,” (April 1, pg.10) perpetuate the idea that adoption by homosexual couples is “morally and socially wrong”, based on his certainty that gay parents will have a greater chance of raising a child that is also gay. However, research shows that this statement is incorrect. Evidence indicates that the children of gay parents are no more likely to be gay than the children of straight parents (Bell, Weinberg, and Hammersmith, 1981). It is true that the parent has a highly influential role in a child’s life, but it is the family process that is more important than the family structure (Patterson, 1994). If the child is allowed to flourish and a loving environment, regardless of parents’ sexual preference, he or she will prosper. Mr. Sullivan argues that homosexuality is wrong because “[it] is not natural”. But what are we defining as a naturally occurring phenomenon here? Gay relationships have been found in many cultures, dating back to the beginnings of the Christian era in western Europe and before. Approximately 15% of our country’s population today is gay. There are even theories as to how homosexuality may have been an adaptive trait. I do agree with one stipulation that Mr. Sullivan made. “Our children should not be brought up or encouraged to be gay.” But the other half of that idea follows that our children should not be raised to be straight either. A parent’s duty is not to assign a sexual preference to their child, but to support their child in making healthy decisions in life. Children do need to be taught right from wrong. Sexuality, however, is not a matter of right and wrong; it is a preference. Homosexuality for a child is a “wrong” only if that child prefers heterosexual relationships. Lastly, gay adoption is not about stimulating the economy. Homosexual couples who wish to invest their love and nurture into another human being, through adopting a child, should be allowed the same opportunity as any other heterosexual couple. Loving parents are what is most important in a child’s growth.

Cristin Loeffler SAR ’04