BU Gay bathroom arrests

Dear Editor,

I’m a gay man that has at times been involved in bathroom sex in my younger years and it’s really nice that your reporting on this issue; as I think it’s good for the public to know. Now as you would assume I have objections and comments.

I really don’t think that your publications in print or electronic should be presenting itself as having reporting on something that “little know”. This issues of sex in public bathrooms has been a long standing one and only in 1999 did the mainstream press address it. You’ve done nothing special in your report. Its the fact that public attitudes have changed about conversational topics that have allowed you ( and many others ) to report on sexual acts in public places, with that being said; I’m not seeing reports of sexual acts in cars by exhibitionist, pornographic video producers, and lone individuals of the heterosexuals persuasion, which I might add also takes place near your campus locations. Perhaps no one reports these incidents the the authorities. I guess you could say that I’m implying that their is some homosexual bias in your writings. I’m sure you have some on staff security, faculty and other that have indulged themselves in these “lascivious” acts at one time or another. Don’t be fooled in to thinking everyone even if married aren’t involved.

The reason I bring this to your attention in your is that I’m not seeing any amount of fair and balanced reporting, again I’m not making excuses, however heterosexuals aren’t as squeaky clean about public sex acts either. This issue could have been an excellent examination in to why this happens, what drives homosexuals to have sex in public or anyone for that matter.

Your BU bathroom sex article is a piece of well executed documentation of facts but no finesse of reporting. I see a bias tone is set by the article because of it’s lack of depth. I’m just disappointed that a free press news paper is so flattened and bland. Kudos for presenting the issue to the public but shame on you for less than substantive journalistic reporting.

By the way, I haven’t been in a bathroom for sex in ages and don’t plan to. I’m currently working with advocacy groups and others to stop discrimination of gays and lesbians so that they don’t have to resort to public bathroom sex. Society pushes men to be heterosexual and too late in life find that they are not, thus find themselves having sex in bathrooms as their outlet while maintaining a wife and family. Sex in public bathrooms is a male only issue; I found it funny that authorities would also check woman’s bathrooms for the same; it simply isn’t done by woman. I think this goes to show how little the straight public knows about this issue.

I hope that I’ve give a little nip and some useful advice on followups to this article as I know it’s not the first and won’t be the last word on the issue of gays and public sex in bathrooms, even at BU.

Thank you,

Christopher Jacobsen Hamfire@mail.com