Eagles’ punter charged in abuse

A Boston College football player was arrested Sunday, March 28 for reportedly holding an 18-year-old woman in his dorm room for several hours against her will.

Jeffrey Gomulinski, a sophomore in BC’s College of Arts and Sciences and a punter for the BC Eagles football team, was arrested around 6:50 a.m. on March 28 and charged with domestic abuse and kidnapping, according to a Boston College Police report. He was arraigned the next day in Brighton District Court where he pleaded not guilty to both charges and was released on $250 bail.

FOX 25 News reported that Gomulinski, who is from Naugatuck, Conn. held a BC freshman against her will for three hours before she escaped to her car at 6:30 a.m. Gomulinski allegedly chased the woman out of the dorm room and an argument ensued at the woman’s car. Police arrived at the scene of the dispute about 20 minutes later and arrested Gomulinski.

BC placed Gomulinski on summary suspension, which means he is not allowed to attend classes, enter his dorm room or come on the campus. He is also suspended indefinitely from the football team.

Jack Dunn, a BC spokesman, said the player’s behavior is not indicative of student-athletes at BC or in college football in general.

“This alleged conduct is atypical of our student-athletes,” Dunn said. “But Boston College has zero tolerance for this alleged behavior and thus has taken these steps, which we feel are in the best interests of the university community.”

BC Police Department Chief Robert Morse said the situation involving Gomulinski was handled in an appropriate manner, given the allegations.

“He is not a threat to the university,” he said. “The allegations are very serious, and until a decision is made by the district court, the sanctions will remain.”

Dunn agreed that the punishments were warranted given the severity of the allegations.

“That’s a severe sanction but an appropriate sanction,” he said.

Zack Jazlowecki, a BC junior, praised the manner in which the school has dealt with the situation. He said that he believes athletes do not get special treatment at the school when it comes to delicate situations like domestic abuse.

“Boston College continues to do the right thing,” he said. “They always place the importance of conduct and civility over athletic ability.”

BC junior Marisa Anthony said she hopes the situation will raise awareness around campus about how to handle similar situations.

“There are many resources available to our students,” she said. “There is a woman’s resource center on our campus that provides counseling for these types of incidents. Our campus is very safe and secure, but no place is completely free from dangerous people. Hopefully people will be more cautious because of this incident.”

Gomulinski will have a pretrial hearing in Brighton District Court on May 4, where he will have a final chance to settle his case with prosecutors before going to trial.