Registration info was available

I would like to correct what I consider to be a misstatement by one of our sophomores, Dominic Chan, in the March 31 edition of The Daily Free Press (“Fall reg a mixed bag, students say,” pg. 1). In Grace Lin’s article, she writes that Dominic Chan said, “The school failed to notify students planning to take Core that information on how to register would be put in their mail files.” In fact, all of the School of Management students were directed to their mail files to pick up their registration materials in the weekly email dated March 19. Furthermore, SMG students are told as a matter of standard policy that they should check their mail files on a weekly basis. The registration materials made clear the procedure for registering for the Cross-Functional Core.

Members of the SMG Undergraduate Program Office staff placed registration materials in our students’ mail files over Spring Break. We began to receive the special Core registration forms by 9:15 a.m. on the Monday following Spring Break, and received a vast majority of rising juniors’ forms by the deadline stated in the registration materials. It appears that, with very few exceptions, only those students who ignored our directive to pick up their material and did not check their mail file on a weekly basis (as advised) submitted their forms late. And we will, of course, do everything we can to accommodate those students despite their tardiness.

Norman Blanchard

Director

SMG Undergraduate Program Office