Seder opens Passover holiday

Tables of participants sing out, “da-dayenu, da-dayenu, da-dayenu, dayenu, dayenu.” In front of them sits an array of objects: cups of wine, dishes of saltwater and a plate, artfully decorated with a roasted egg, a sprig of parsley, bitter herbs and other foods.

The participants were Boston University community members gathered in Hillel House’s Kosher Dining Hall Monday night for the first night of Passover, an ancient Jewish holiday observed for eight days in America, which “celebrates freedom and the exodus [of the ancient Israelites] from Egypt in the time of the pharaohs,” Hillel Associate Director Nora Abrahamer said before the event.

Hillel aims to provide a communal version of the traditional Passover seder, which is normally performed in the family home, she said.

“The Jewish tradition is to remember that experience [of the Israelites] by having a seder, [in which] the tradition of families is to have a special meal that includes the retelling of the story of the exodus in a book called the ‘Haggaddah,’ a Hebrew word meaning ‘the telling,'” Abrahamer said. “Around the world, Jewish families will all be doing the same thing.”

Part of the telling of the story is through a symbolic plate of foods that is served to celebrate the liberation of the Israelites and the spring season.

“Each symbol [on the seder plate] is representative of remembering slavery, hope, freedom and renewal,” Abrahamer said.

School of Law student Alon Cohen led the seder in the main dining hall, facilitating the event’s proceedings and encouraging a social atmosphere. Cohen emphasized the fun side of the seder, supplying each table with a toothbrush – the first thing most would take with them if forced to flee like the Israelites – which was passed across each table and signified the right to speak, “like the conch in [William Golding’s novel] ‘Lord of the Flies,'” Cohen said.

The seder’s light-hearted atmosphere and eclectic mix of people encouraged participants to acquaint themselves with one another.

“People come with friends, but it’s a big enough event that you’ll be sitting next to someone you don’t know,” Cohen said.

Danielson Hall Director Pauline Gauthier participated in the seder and pointed out its unifying characteristics.

“It’s really nice that Hillel offers this for the students to come together,” Gauthier said, adding that it is especially good for those who didn’t get to go home and celebrate with family. “I’ve been to other communal seders, but BU has a way of incorporating everybody.”

Kaveh Riahi, a non-Jewish student, was at the seder and felt the same warm reception at the event.

“It’s nice to kind of feel like you’re in a family here,” the CAS junior said. “I’m not Jewish, but I feel very welcome.”

Another aspect of the eight days of Passover is that those who observe the holiday eat matzah instead of leavened bread.

“In remembrance of the fact that the Israelites had to flee very quickly and didn’t have time to let bread rise, we eat matzah for eight days,” said Abrahamer, who referred to matzah as the “bread of affliction.” She joked that “for the first few days, it tastes great and everyone’s happy, but by the seventh day, it can be a different story.”

Next year’s celebration should be much more exciting, Gauthier said, because the event will be held in the new Hillel House, which is currently under construction on Bay State Road.

“It’s wonderful that [Hillel is] here and I can’t wait until next year when [the seder] will be in the new building,” she said.

The fundamental message of Passover is a humble expression of gratitude, Abrahamer said.

During the holiday, “we celebrate the riches, comfort and all of the blessings we enjoy each day,” she said.

Hillel is offering a Passover lunch Tuesday and another seder Tuesday night.