Army ROTC field training; PLEASE RUN!

TO: letters@dailyfreepress.com

Dear Editor,

Here is an article written by Laura Hanson, Brianna Packer, Amee Shah, and Mariana Torres from the Field Training Exercises at Ft. Devens, MA, last weekend April 2-4, 2004. We would appreciate if you can revise and publish it.

Sincerely,

Brianna Packer (Class 2006), Laura Hanson (Class 2004), Amee Shah (Class 2004)

Mariana Torres (Class 2006)

ARTICLE:

TITLE: On the Battlefield with the Army ROTC

Stealth: n: secret or furtive action. Stealthy: The way the 1st Platoon glided through the forest on their approach to the enemy target, silently navigating through thick trees, thorn bushes and rugged, wet terrain. Traveling in wedge formation towards the objective- a moving HUMVEE carrying the Minister of Military Recruiting for Polonus’ insurgency group, the KMT- the platoon heads their attack. Suddenly, Platoon Leader (PL) Cadet Cleghorn raises his fist signaling a rapid halt. Everyone freezes and kneels on the ground, guns pointed straight with fingers ready on the trigger, their eyes piercing through the dense shrubs for signs of enemy forces. Simultaneously, the support team takes its place directly facing the objective as the assault team regroups on a nearby hill. It is dead quiet- the only sounds are the racing heart beats of the team members. The HUMVEE slowly approaches from afar. The uproar of an exploding grenade is heard, and immediately the security squad opens fire on the enemy. Less than a second later, a billowing cloud of yellow smoke permeates the zone of contact, creating a screen for the platoon as the attack team swiftly engages the vehicles, shooting their M-16s at the targets. Panic ensues; all that can be seen is a smoky haze and rapidly moving shadows, but the reassuring shouts of the PL instructing his platoon is somewhat comforting in the midst of the confusion and adrenaline rush. Running is not an option; reporters are not armed with compasses. Nearing what seems the end of life, shouts can be heard from the PL team leader “We have our high-value target, let’s move out, everyone get off, NOW!” A cadet hoists his deceased comrade over his shoulders and runs with the squad back to safety. Objective accomplished. Mission over. There are a few friendly casualties, but most will live to fight another day. You’re probably thinking Iraq or Afghanistan, but you’re wrong. It’s four “embedded” journalists narrating their experience in the Army ROTC Field Training Exercise (FTX) at Fort Devens, Massachusetts.

Ninety cadets from Boston University, Stonehill, Bridgewater State, Massachusetts Maritime, and Bentley came together to form the Charles River Battalion for this large-scale operation. Along with four Boston University journalists, a corps of 15 dedicated Navy midshipmen and Marines came along to serve as the enemy. Immediately after the green bodies stepped off the yellow school buses, carefully maneuvering their swollen rucksacks onto the grounds of Ft. Devens, they were to be in continuous motion for the next two days.

The weekend commenced Friday night with the cadets signing out their M16-A2 rifles and collecting their MILES gear. The MILES gear (Mission Integrated Laser Emitting System) included a halo of sensors that would attach to the cadet’s Kevlar helmet, a vest lined with sensors, and a laser emission device that would attach to the M16. This was more than just a glorified game of laser tag. The cadets were issued blank rounds of ammunition that they would need to load and re-load. They would fire off their ammunition rounds and the sound waves would activate the lasers. If the laser hit the sensors, a horrendous buzzing sound was emitted- someone was “dead.”

Before the “lights out” curfew at 2200, cadets received their Meals Ready to Eat (MRE), prepared their weapons for combat, planned tactics that could be used in different scenarios, and were briefed by the Lt. Col. Orlov on the importance of weapons safety.

0400 hours, Saturday. Bags packed, wet weather gear donned, faces painted with camouflage; the cadets were already in formation when the journalists went to find their respective squads. The day consisted of six, two-hour missions for each 8-9 cadet squad. For over twelve hours the teams ran through the woods, chased enemy forces, dodged bullets (or lasers), crawled through dense brush, carried casualties, and faced simulated mortar attacks while lugging 40-50 lbs of equipment in damp, chilly, slippery conditions.

The next morning, after sleeping outside in makeshift tents, or hooches, the squads awoke at 0430 hours to disassemble the hooch and put wet weather gear back on. Suddenly, at 0500 hours, red flares, smoke bombs, and artillery shells came screaming into the area. Cadets were running around and shouting orders as the confusion took over. What an incredible wake-up call! Luckily, the attack was over shortly and the cadets were rewarded with a hot breakfast.

“Never lose your energy no matter what happens. That’s what part of being a leader is all about,” Lt. Jeff Arleque instructed as he encouraged cadets to maintain intensity.

At present the world hangs in a delicate balance. The potential for conflict is everywhere and the looming threats of war and terror have become an integrated part of every day life. In order to protect our country, her citizens and her allies, we need strong, able minded leaders in our government and our military. The United States Army is one of the most powerful armies in the world. However, when the older officials soon retire, these younger men and women will be in charge. With the changing role of the army and the always changing ways of the world, these leaders will need to be stronger and smarter than ever before. Enter the ROTC Program. Military Reserve Officer Training Corps Programs are spread throughout the entire country and are responsible for taking cadets and turning them into effective, lethal warriors and leaders. In the ROTC program at Boston University, cadets are required to take military science classes where they are trained in important skills such as mission planning and land navigation. Twice a year the Boston University Army ROTC, under Lt. Col. Morton Orlov, conducts their FTX. He explained that FTX gives these young men and women “the opportunity to get it right as a young cadet before [they] become commissioned officers.” This is indeed a great opportunity for these young leaders. This year the FTX was not only a total success but also a great opportunity for the participating embedded journalists, who got to experience war as close to reality as it gets and train for future defense reporting.